The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

50mm f/1.8 Series E

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. 3 Stars (average) (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,175 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:55

Have you used this lens? Please let other members know what you thought of it by passing comment in this thread. This topic will be indexed on our Equipment pages for easy reference.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 fks

fks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 22:23

light and compact, it makes for a great walkaround lens if you're looking for a small and light kit. it's not multicoated like the nikkors, but images are still sharp and contrasty (i haven't tested it for flare resistance though). overall, not a bad lens, especially for the price (they used to be given away on ebay with film body).

ricky

#3 netr

netr

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWellington
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:31

These are a very good little lens and what I use for difficult (hazardous to lenses) conditions.  One year my best shot (a portrait taken in a small boat at sea) was made using one of these lenses.  I always have one tucked in a corner of my camera bag, just in case it comes in handy.

Ross

#4 Spectre

Spectre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific Northwest

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:38

I had one, nice little lens for street work. I sold it with my FM2n .... wish I had the camera back.
No pixels were harmed in the making of my images... then again, maybe they were.

#5 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 27 July 2009 - 20:51

Cute little lens. Played with it today (mounted on my D40...yes, totally manual work!). Here're a couple of shots shot @ f/1.8:

Attached Images

• DSC_0869.jpg

Machina fotografica necesse est

#6 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 27 July 2009 - 20:55

Second pic.

Attached Images

• DSC_0831.jpg

Machina fotografica necesse est

#7 RKPhotog

RKPhotog

Grand Potentate

• Life Member
  • 2,014 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 July 2009 - 21:18

It's a decent lens at a narrow range of apertures. I keep one around for risky business shooting. For IR work it shows a hot spot at f8 and smaller.
Bob
Bob

#8 photojazz

photojazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationStuttgart Germany

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:52

I have one that is used with my film bodies and D300 and Da 50. As stated, nice lil lens that is sharp and light. Aways mounted on one of my cameras when I am out shooting in stereo.

Nikon D300, D50
Nikon F4, F5 and EM
Fuji S7000
Mamiya RB67 and M645 1000s
Bronica ETRSI
Many Lenses

#9 HenkL

HenkL

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:31

neat sharp lens with little distortion. I believe it has the same optics as the 50 1.8AFD. Lent it the moment to my neighbor. Not really of use to me now that I have the 50 1.4AFD.

#10 bollox

bollox

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:38

Nice little lens:

Posted Image
Morten
Posted Image

#11 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France

Posted 11 November 2010 - 13:55

I had one of these. I found that it was rather low contrast, very susceptible to flare, even with a hood; probably due to the lack of multicoating. An old Nikkor-S.C 50mm was much better. I also didn't much like the plasticy feel. A sample backlight test below (Nikon D40, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E  with HN-7 hood @ ISO 200, f/8, 1/640s). I gave mine away.

Posted Image
_DSC1895-50E-hood-f8 by Nantonos, on Flickr
Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#12 Shutterdad

Shutterdad
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 20 December 2011 - 00:08

I'm new to the use of manual focus lenses. I currently own the AF version, but for some strange reason decided to pick up a used 50mm Series E for $40. I've been using it on both the D90 and D200. I like the series E better than the AF version, it fits my "old and slow" style of shooting. To my eyes, the series E has a warmer, richer tone. Wonderful lens. On down the line I'm planning on buying either a Oly Pen series or Sony Nex camera and I feel this lens will be a great combo.

Edited by Shutterdad, 21 December 2011 - 00:04 .

#13 ozone

ozone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:04

Great sharpness, zero distortion, and reasonably good bokeh!

But where it falls through compared to the 50/1.8 Nikkors, is on the contrast!

Veiling flare is so prominent that it can even be seen on the histogram! Just the daylight sky (even with the sun behind you) is enough to cast a milky veil over your entire image.

Go for the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D, which also cost next to nothing. It is multicoated and superior to the Series E, even though they have "the same optical design".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.