#1 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:33

IR rays do affect the menthal state of mind of potential subjects. Here is one of the participants attending my workshop on alpine photography. He tore off his clothes and started jumping up and down in the freshly fallen snow. Maybe he just received the Call from the wilderness surrounding him?

Beware of the dangers of the IR powers.

Posted Image
Bjørn

#2 David Cramer

David Cramer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPlacitas, NM, USA

Posted 03 September 2006 - 13:12

I remember seeing this image or one similar to it on a posting in a forum elsewhere. It definitely first brings a smile, then it calls me to explore it more and wonder "Why the heck is he doing that?" I'm also struck by the vulnerability of his nakedness in that apparently rugged landscape. Of course, this could be a great advertisement for your workshops. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Proper Exposure."

#3 hans

hans

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 19:27

The colors grab me

#4 Guest_Ken-L_*

Guest_Ken-L_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 20:07

I suppose "different" must have some appeal. If the naked man jumping was your subject, it just doesn't do it for me. He almost looks as though he was put into the shot to provide something of interest. If the naked man isn't the subject why have him in it at all? The focal point seems to be a patch of snow, but that isn't very interesting either. Using this photographic technique must be interesting enough if one likes it, but frankly, it just doesn't show me anything artisitic and doesn't have any real photographic qualities other than just tyring so hard to be different.

#5 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 September 2006 - 20:22

Your words boil down to "I don't like it", which is fair enough. So just say so.
Bjørn

#6 Guest_Ken-L_*

Guest_Ken-L_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 20:34

Your words boil down to "I don't like it", which is fair enough. So just say so.

Oh, I'm sorry Bjorn! I thought you posted it for a critique. I'm just a newbie here and my first impressions after posting a couple of photos was that anything posted is supposed to be critiqued forthrightly and specifically, rather than just saying "Nice shot" or not saying anything....

If I just didn't like it I would not have said anything at all rather than say what I thought about it. If I liked it I would have said so, and maybe explained what I did like about it. But you are correct, I don't like it.

#7 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 September 2006 - 20:47

You misunderstand Ken. Criticism is what we wish to have, but meaningful comments have to extend beyond "like" or "not like". Your comment did not go that far and my comment tried to indicate that. I also see that, read in a context, you are trying to "give back" from my comment on your Mono lake picture and that isn't very mature.
Bjørn

#8 Roosje

Roosje

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 676 posts
  • LocationHilversum, The Netherlands

Posted 04 September 2006 - 22:02

Bjrn, I always look very much forward to your posts. You have succeeded in freeing yourself from traditional way of photography, I believe that one can only succeed succesfully in this when one one has almost complete control over all the techniques. I love the contrast of that grey frail human body against the colorful and powerful strength of the rugged landscape.
Roosje
D90 | 18-200mmVR | 70-300mmVR | 50 f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/ 2.8 | Tamron 90mm f/2.8 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Olympus E-P1 | Fuji F30

#9 Guest_Ken-L_*

Guest_Ken-L_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 23:08

You misunderstand Ken. Criticism is what we wish to have, but meaningful comments have to extend beyond "like" or "not like". Your comment did not go that far and my comment tried to indicate that. I also see that, read in a context, you are trying to "give back" from my comment on your Mono lake picture and that isn't very mature.

Let me guess Bjorn, you're the only one that can have an opinon about someone else's photo and express it, but if anyone expresses an opinion about your, they are immature?

Only you can tell others what you think? Only you have an opinion worth seeing?
If you want to think I'm paying you back, that's a poor response to what I find wrong with your photo. Your knowledge and collection of lenses is well known, thats fine.

#10 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 September 2006 - 23:12

Obviously you have an attitude problem. Any one reading through the posts you have made on this forum so far can readily observe that. As long as it is your problem that doesn't worry me too much.
Bjørn

#11 BourbonCowboy

BourbonCowboy

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLA (Lower Arkansas)

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:52

"Beware of the dangers of the IR powers." Bjrn, You're exactly right. Since I've had my D70 converted to IR, I rarely look to shoot in color or B&W. I'm constantly looking for subjects that would produce nice IR images. I'm not really sure what's happened to me, but since you're on the other side of the planet, I'll just blame you. :tongue:
Mark
Bodies: D700/D5100/FE2/D200IR  Lights: SB-900/SB-400/SU-800
AF Lenses: 24-70/70-200/55-200VR/70-300VR/Sigma 30 & 50/Tamron 17-35, 17-55, 24-135, & 90mm.
Old School: 28 3.5K Ai'd/50 1.4K Ai'd/55 3.5K Ai'd/85 1.8K Ai'd/105 2.5 Ai-S/135 2.8K Ai'd/75-150 Ai-S/200 f/4 Ai.
Cool Stuff: CS3; Lightroom3, Wacom Intuos3, Bogen 3021, Arca Swiss B1, and other stuff.
www.theprintsofdarkness.net

#12 arbutusq

arbutusq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:58

I really like it. It remindes me of a backpacking trip we did this spring. THere was plenty of snow on the ground and when we got to the alpine hut where we would stay we read the guest book. The guy who was up there before us claimed to have hiked in naked...brrr..
I bought my camera, now where can I buy an eye...? Steve

#13 cyberean

cyberean

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:05

a very refreshing presentation and a perspective of the somewhat familiar landscape ("man" included). though, if you could clarify, Bjrn. i recall you voicing your preference against colorization of IR, in one of the IR threads not too long ago. did i misinterpret your outlook on the topic?
roman

#14 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:33

Sometimes the in-camera processing of an IR shot produces colours that add to the image instead of detracting from it, then I follow the camera's advice. Nothing more complicated than that, Roman. Working with IR means you have to look fresh at the world around you.
Bjørn

#15 Seanna

Seanna

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • LocationSatellite Beach, FL
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 05 September 2006 - 13:56

I like both non colorized and colorized IR images. Both can be stunning, love Danielle's (pbase) colorized IR. This image benefits from colorizing. Close your eyes and "see" this image without the purple sky. The nekkid jumping man would have less impact on a non colorized sky, his action highlighted by the sky breathes life into this image for me.
When riding in a time machine far into the future . . . don't stick your elbow out the window . . . or it'll turn into a fossil

#16 abousimbel

abousimbel

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 573 posts
  • LocationBruxelles - Belgium

Posted 05 September 2006 - 14:36

An Ode to IR... Terrific shot. I like, but (ouch, lol...) for me, too much white snow on the left side. I like the relation, but without the left side of the snow. If I dared (wink)

Attached Images

• ir.jpg

I am dust of star, attracted by the light as a butterfly, but it burns my wings and I return to the dust.

#17 abousimbel

abousimbel

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 14:38

ps : I prefer your color, issue with the compression...
I am dust of star, attracted by the light as a butterfly, but it burns my wings and I return to the dust.

#18 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,380 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 September 2006 - 14:40

Feel free to come forward with suggestions :) Personally I think that crop makes the picture "too perfect" in terms of its framing, but the slight brightening of the jumper was a good move nevertheless.
Bjørn

#19 abousimbel

abousimbel

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 14:58

I'm a too perfect perfectionist man, it's a problem in my life... and it's maybe too late for change, lol

#20 retief

retief

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 425 posts
  • LocationPacific NW, USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 07 September 2006 - 17:17

Well, Bjorn, this image just proves to me why it is very good for my health to venture out of my "comfort zone" now and again. This image, to me, is really interesting. The first thought that came to my mind was "Alien", something quite surreal, and I would think that without Jumping Man. But Jumping Man, to me, adds humanity to the otherwise alien looking landscape. I think that if Jumping Man were more central, or a larger part of the image, I would think different, but it is just enough of a "touch" to really add rather than detract. I know virtually zero about IR photography, but it is images like this that will cause me to learn a bit more. Thanks, again, for another bit of education. By the way, the back story adds as well, although for me at least the image really stands well even without that bit of context.
Bill Dewey

The Focused Eye

"The Older I Get, the Better I Was........"
- aspiring photographer and didgeridooist extraordinaire -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users