Ann

Spring-time in Patterson

11 posts in this topic

Outside:

102_AJS_9720.jpg

But Inside:

102_AJS_9715.jpg

I would add "Scratch-and-Sniff" patches for Orange blossom and Jasmine . . . if I could.

3 people like this

Dallas and Mike:

I am so glad that you enjoyed my Spring flowers.

We got two feet of snow in that last storm and gale-force winds then piled it up in huge drifts against my outside doors. I found that digging my way out took considerable effort.

It was really nice to get back in the warmth afterwards and enjoy the flowers.

Luc:

Thank you.

Our Spring simply got buried for a few days just when the first daffodils had pushed their noses out to test the weather.

There is a charming legend here that if a Ground Hog (also known as a Woodchuck) pokes his nose out of his burrow on 2nd February and sees his shadow (meaning that the sun is shining at that moment); then we are in for another 40 days of Winter. The Ground Hog got it right this year!

I believe that this tradition originally came to Pennsylvania from Europe and may go back to the Celts.

1 person likes this

Ann, are we looking at some Amyrilis here?

Yes, they are what nearly everyone calls Amaryllis but are botanically classified as Hippeastrum.

These massive bulbs were imported from Holland and each of them produces two (sometimes three!) main stalks with between four and seven buds on each stalk so they produce a spectacular display which goes on for weeks.

I buy mine by mail directly from the importer and, because I don't mind if they don't flower until after Christmas, I can wait until the end of November when prices get slashed by 50%.

I do keep mine and grow them on but they often don't flower again for a couple of years.

Having seen a few Amarylis bulbs in the past, they most certainly impressive, never tried to grow them. Saw lots of them in the Amsterdam floating flower market on the Singel canal, impressive blooms also. Super.

If the bulbs are in good condition when you buy them, they will only need to be potted up and kept somewhere that is moderately warm and they will flower magnificently.

The operative words are "in good condition when you buy them"  and unfortunately the ones sold in gift boxes in retail outlets have usually been in the shop for far too long and have already tried to sprout inside their box and, without light or water, have already withered and died.

The best bet is to buy on-line directly from one of the bulb importers.

Here in the States I buy mine from American Meadows in Vermont but there are numerous other companies who also import their bulbs directly from the growers in Holland.

Right now, I am planting a slew of Tuberous Begonias (which were delivered to me from Vermont yesterday) and which I am hoping will be fairly spectacular all summer long.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Mike G said:

Saw lots of them in the Amsterdam floating flower market on the Singel canal, impressive blooms also. Super.

You've been at the biggest tourist trap in Amsterdam, a total rip-off. ;)

Looks a lovely place to live Ann !

Edited by Marco Handgraaf

Marco:

It is.

And if you know any of the people who breed and ship these astonishing bulbs in Holland, please tell them how much I appreciate the results of their efforts.

6 hours ago, Marco Handgraaf said:

You've been at the biggest tourist trap in Amsterdam, a total rip-off. ;)

Marco, I think you maybe correct, I once bought a packet of five tulip bulbs called the Rembrandt collection supposedly multicoloured blooms but all were a very dull flat red, very disappointed!