Chris Wahl

Red-Crowned Crane (Grus Japonensis) ... image heavy

17 posts in this topic

Beautiful ... just beautiful Chris!

The Japanese Cranes are among the most elegant and beautiful of birds and your lovely photographs have captured that.

I have never had a chance to see those Cranes in the wild but your photographs show exactly why they have inspired artists and sculptors for thousands of years.

We had seriously wanted to keep, and hopefully breed, Japanese Cranes at one time but our winter is a lot harsher and more extreme than Japan's and there are also too many predators here — and too much traffic on our road these days.

South Africa has a beautiful pale blue crane which also dances.

Pepe and I once managed to get quite close to some in the Kleine Karoo and I will dig out some pictures for you.

1 person likes this

The Blue Crane is our national bird. 

Great pics, Chris. :) 

Thank you so much everybody, much appreciated!

Ann, I would love to see your images of the blue cranes. Your winter must be really tough. Hokkaido being close to Siberia does have pretty strong winters too. The coldest we were out phtographing was -24C wich I found pretty cold...

again thanks

Chris

Thank you so much for your kind words Armando!

Chris, these are very beautiful images.

Super images complimented by the write up.

thanks Anthony and Faris, glad you like it!

I've seen these also (like the monkeys) on TV, these birds are pure elegance and beauty. Very nice series Chris, you're on a roll ...

What else can I add to the comments other than "magnificent", both the subjects and the photos.

Chris wrote:

Your winter must be really tough.

Our Spring is even worse: 73°F/+22°C last week followed by two feet of snow and blizzard conditions on Tuesday with night-time temps dropping to 10°F/-12°C.

We have sunshine today;  and I have just come indoors after shovelling a wall of snow so that I can get my car out of the garage; but another massive snow storm is forecast for tomorrow and every day through the Spring Equinox.

The crane-keeper at the Zoo was right: your beautiful cranes would not have been happy here!

Thanks Alan!

Ann, this sounds extreme indeed ... I am glad to live in a more moderate sphere ...