7 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,446 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:03

The sky over North London cleared shortly before midnight on Sunday, and I mounted my D800 and 300/4 on the tripod and went outside.

Several shots showed a duplicate, green, moon which was not visible to the naked eye.  

Exposure was set for the foreground as I wanted some local detail, and was 5 seconds at f4.  White balance was Auto in camera.

I have processed this without doing anything directly to the colour, just using a scenic preset and adjusting exposure, detail and black point.  

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Attached Images

• Supermoon-20130623-101-7164.jpg

#2 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:26

The green circle should be a ghost accompanied by some flare (notice the faint arc right above the green circle).

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#3 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 25 June 2013 - 19:26

Internal flare in the lens or flare from a filter if that was mounted. The moon is very over-exposed, so that and the dark foreground adds to the visibility of the flare. I wouldn't discard the lens because of that, since almost any lens could produce such an effect.

Bjørn T

#4 Scott Murphy

Scott Murphy

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 165 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Posted 26 June 2013 - 00:08

You had a filter on the front of your lens, didn't you? This is a reflection of the moon off the front element which is then reflected off the back surface of the filter and transmitted through the lens.

“Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.”

- Ansel Adams

#5 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,378 posts
  • Location_

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:52

Reflection of the 'shiny' sensor, not the front element as far as I know

Similar can happen from the rear of the rear lens element, that is it can happen even without a filter.

• averity likes this

#6 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,446 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:48

I did not have a filter on the lens (I have been educated out of that by my NG friends), so I think Erik's explanation is correct.  This effect only showed on the overexposed images, not on those correctly exposed for the moon.  This must relate to the length of the exposure, as the aperture was unchanged.

Erik, do any Nikkors have DHG coating?  I ask only out of interest, I have no intention of selling this lens.

I rather like the colours of the overexposed shot - I am not sure why there is the purple effect (this appears even on a jpeg converted at neutral settings);  perhaps it is something to do with the light pollution over the city, but it is not visible to the naked eye.

Just for balance, here is a moon shot taken a minute earlier.  300mm is not much in this context, so it has been heavily cropped - but still there is a lot of detail.

Thanks to everyone for commenting on the "problem" shot.

Attached Images

• Supermoon-20130623-101-7163.jpg

#7 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 26 June 2013 - 13:54

DHG (standing for "digital high grade") is a term used by Marumi optics who is known for the filters with the quality comparable to those of Kenko/Hoya and is kind of multi-layer coating.

The "purlple effect" should be lens flare that typically appears around the overexposed strong light sources.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#8 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,446 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 26 June 2013 - 15:10

Thanks, Akira, very interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users