16 replies to this topic

#1 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 16:46

band shoot...

Adelin, Mr. Riverdale, and Scarecrow Jenkins of Amore Delirium.

Amore Delirium is a local S.Florida band. I really cannot quantify their sound or adequately characterize their sublime and effortless gypsy origins. I found myself very often drifting away to Transylvania during this shoot, it was such a pleasure to have my own private concert with these three very talented musicians. It is great to be a photographer.

Equipment used: E-PL5 45mm. E-PL3 and 17mm 2.8 Zuiko. Nikon D2x lensbaby original (@f/4). NEX-7 with Zhongyi Lens Turbo and Zeiss 28mm ZF.2. NEX-C3 w/Sigma 30mm E. And, of course, iPhone Hipstamatic with the tintype preset.

When I think of album art its hard not to reach back into my pop culture archive and think about the great albums I had as a kid. When I see old the record covers in the store, especially from the 70’s and 80’s, I realize that some of the best photography of our time has been put into LP art. To actually be included in someones album art would be a tremendous validation of my work, and it reinforces my personal zeitgeist of collaborating with artists as much as possible. You see, I am not an artist, that is why I use a camera... because I cannot paint or draw. Still, I love visuals and like to think I have a visual sensibility from consuming and exposing myself to as much art as possible. Perhaps the closest I will ever get to art is an album cover, that would be great.

My favorite album art in no particular order... Pink Floyd (anything), Joshua Tree and even Achtung Baby, Pauls Boutique, Van Halen 1984, Rubber Soul, Angel Dust, Straight out of Cashville, 2 Live Crew (you know which one), For Your Eyes Only Sountrack, Hot Rocks, The Teaches of Peaches, Peter Gabriel Us, Bob Marley Legend, Bowie (anything almost), Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, Halfway between the gutter and the stars.

#2 Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 June 2013 - 19:20

Excellent work, Taran.  I really enjoyed that slideshow.

You brought a unique and daring vision to the shoot.  I bet the band is thrilled with the results.

• yunfat likes this

#3 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 19:57

Ditto what Rick said, great vision and imagination.

Great job.

• yunfat likes this

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#4 RC51

RC51

LARGE MEMBER

• Life Member
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationENGLAND
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 25 June 2013 - 20:08

These are way cool Taran..... they do remind me of 1970's West Coast album art. Well done!

And I agree Pink Floyd (Storm) album art is the nuts, and Bowie's. I would add all Brian Ferry/Roxy Music, to your excellent list.

Cheers

• yunfat likes this
Bez

#5 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationMannheim, Germany

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:34

Great artwork Taran!

I enjoyed a lot watching the slideshow ... Hopefully the band appreciates your work and includes some of your work in their album art. It surely deserves it.

Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

#6 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,034 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:46

Cool stuff !!

And I'll check out the band, too.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#7 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,779 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:13

Great slide show, but I think the color images excel the B&W ones.  I don't think it's because of the color, but the color images do look way more inspired and spirited.

Edited by Akira, 30 June 2013 - 16:14 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#8 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,659 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:35

Need to log on to my PC to see this, probably. Only a black square appears on my iPad.
Bjørn T

#9 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:40

Need to log on to my PC to see this, probably. Only a black square appears on my iPad.

It's possible it takes some time to load, or its flash.  If you go to flickr, you can see them on your ipad there...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artistwithlight/sets/72157634304801187/

@everyone, thanks for the kind words.

Edited by yunfat, 30 June 2013 - 16:41 .

#10 Mexecutioner

Mexecutioner

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:13

Great set Taran, thanks for sharing.

• yunfat likes this

#11 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:12

Just want to add, is this something you do a lot of?

Reckon there would be many bands who would like the Taran treatment!

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#12 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 22:22

Just want to add, is this something you do a lot of?

Reckon there would be many bands who would like the Taran treatment!

That is kind of you to say.  I never get too much work from artists because I charge a fair amount of money just to come out for an hour.  Musicians and photographers are both afflicted by the glut in the market right now methinks.

This was just 30 minutes with about 5 cameras in order to sharpen my chops and for promotional purposes and to get a little work in with the new lens turbo.

#13 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 30 June 2013 - 23:03

30 mins, now you're just showing off, lol.

I think the adage that quality costs may be appropriate   :)  ;)

#14 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 June 2013 - 23:46

Finally, pictures of musicians that don't suck.  Very nice series.

• yunfat likes this
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#15 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,659 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:01

It's possible it takes some time to load, or its flash.  If you go to flickr, you can see them on your ipad there...

@everyone, thanks for the kind words.
Great series with images that attract interest and curiosity. I like the b&w images a lot. You got very nice conversions, and it's a joy to look at them, the artists and their instruments.
Bjørn T

#16 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:16

Great series with images that attract interest and curiosity. I like the b&w images a lot. You got very nice conversions, and it's a joy to look at them, the artists and their instruments.

No conversions, the BW are Sony NEX C3 straight out of camera.  In general, NEX BW's are the best I have seen from any of the consumer cams.  Thanks for the kind words.

#17 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:48

30 mins, now you're just showing off, lol.

I think the adage that quality costs may be appropriate   :)  ;)

You touch on a fine point.  I think if you want to be an artist you also have to be willing to help other artists with their own endeavors, unfortunately that doesn't pay very well.  Satisfaction must merely come from the act of collaborative creation.  Sometimes there is  a bonus is when you get to learn a little about the passion that creates the art, because that driving force, whatever it is, resonates across all artistic genres... whether music or photography.

Positive artistic energy in the local community is a boost to everyone, if I could do more I would.  

And upon reflection, 30 minutes with all my gear is an exhausting workout and shooting through a prism is hard as fuck.  It's bragging for sure, but I don't have to use DSLR's anymore, so everything is much easier now.   :good:

Low angle, high angle, and prism/experimental... they take time to do right on DSLR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users