3 replies to this topic

#1 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 24 June 2013 - 13:10

I´m going on a safari and have these options.

1. Used 200-400VR1

2. New 80-400AF-S

3. Rent 200-400VR2

The cost will be about the same for all options if I manage to sell the lenses after the trip. And a positive is that I will have the summer to get used to the lens if I go for option 1 or 2.

I will use a D800 on the trip.

Is the 200-400VR1 a lot worse than the VR2?

Will the 70-200VR2 just stay in the bag if I choose the 80-400AF-S?

I´m also worried about the weight of the 200-400 both for carry on and for usability. 

#2 Chris Dees

Chris Dees

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 24 June 2013 - 14:46

I went on safari last year and used a 200-400VR1 on a D800E and a 70-200 on a D700.

IMHO the 200-400 is the ultimate safari lens but as you already mentioned it's heavy. In a jeep on a monopod it's not a big deal, but if you have to walk with it, it feels pretty heavy after a few hours.

I just sold my 200-400 and now I'm waiting for the price of the 80-400 to come down as this will be my new safari lens.

AFAIK there's no other difference between the VR1 and VR2 than the nano coating on the VR2 and perhaps a one stop better VR.

I would recommend a second body as the animals can come very close and there's often no time/place to swap lenses

Too much glass to carry.

#3 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 14:51

I just sold my 200-400 and now I'm waiting for the price of the 80-400 to come down as this will be my new safari lens.

AFAIK there's no other difference between the VR1 and VR2 than the nano coating on the VR2 and perhaps a one stop better VR.

I would recommend a second body as the animals can come very close and there's often no time/place to swap lenses

Will the 80-400 replace the 70-200, or will you bring both next time?

I plan to have a second body.

#4 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 13:20

New AF-S 80-400VR in house  :rolleyes:

Thank you Chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.