#1 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,312 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:29

This afternoon our time the UN approved the nomination of 174,000ha of Tasmania's old growth and high conservation forests to be listed as World Heritage Area, which up until now were open by law for industrial-scale clearfell logging.

Over the past 30 or more years thousands of individuals have campaigned in many ways against this outmoded practice, from manning barricades, chaining themselves to machinery, lobbying government and commercial interests, and even simply taking photographs of what was being lost, and this UN decision today for all intents and purposes puts these forests beyond the local corruption, lies, violence and pig-ignorance of vested interests and politicians in Tasmania and saves them for future generations to enjoy, and for the planet to breathe just a little bit easier. I dips me lid to all the dedicated people who volunteered a good part of their lives to achieve this outcome.

"Season's Change", intended logging coupe FO 049B, Upper Florentine Valley Tasmania, now nominated for protection from logging by International law for all time.

219-Seasons-Change-1600_zps4f67b189.jpg

• wildoat, willl, BillM and 2 others like this

#2 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:09

Well Alan I reckon this is cause for celebration indeed.

From what I've read you have made a significant contribution to this cause and certainly helped to raise

awareness so you should feel very proud.

Great effort to from all your friends who you have photographed re this cause.

It's good to hear some encouraging news about this world we live in, hope this example

inspires others to value what this planet gives us.

Good on you.

Cheers

tony

Edited by wildoat, 24 June 2013 - 12:14 .

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#3 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,136 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:34

Victory!

See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#4 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:51

Wonderful news. But it was a hard won victory and congratulations are due to you and the others who have fought such a long and stressful battle to save this precious area.

#5 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 13:01

Thanks, Tony, Ron & Ann, it was worth the effort on everyone's behalf. The news is still sinking in, I think, plus the fact that even the slimiest and most devious politicians here will have a great deal of trouble trying to overturn this one. They'll try, though, of that I'm sure, but the World Heritage Committee of the UN carries more clout by miles than these lowlife.

The pristine and untouched Upper Florentine River, now free from the threat of being turned into a diesel-polluted, silted-up drain:

Upper-Florentine-River-4-7-10-1600_zps96

Edited by Fred Nirque, 24 June 2013 - 13:02 .

#6 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,716 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 June 2013 - 14:28

awesomeness. congrats

"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#7 averity

averity

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 674 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 24 June 2013 - 14:39

that is the best news I have seen in a long while, congratulations to all responsible

#8 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:15

This is great news. Let's hope that it transfers into true protection and not something that is ignored.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#9 simsurace

simsurace

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBern, Switzerland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:21

These are such a moving and wonderful news. I thank everyone that worked towards this goal.

Maybe someday I will see those wonderful forests with my own eyes.

#10 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,637 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:55

Excellent. Your persistence has paid off!

Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#11 JeCeH

JeCeH

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 147 posts
  • LocationZoetermeer

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:13

It sure took a long time but it's a good reason to celebrate!

Kind regards, Hans
http://www.heemskerkonline.nl

#12 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,734 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:16

A terrific kick in the balls to those who seek to pillage and destroy the earth! Good on you, Tasmanians. :) 

#13 Shac

Shac

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 864 posts
  • LocationWhite Rock, BC

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:52

Excellent news Fred - congratulations to everyone concerned in the fight to save the area

#14 davepaterson

davepaterson

Ex-photographer

• Life Member
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationKillin, Scotland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:20

Well done, Fred. There can be no doubt that your images must have played a large part in raising awareness.

Dave Paterson

#15 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 24 June 2013 - 18:18

Fantastic news - congrats!
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#16 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 18:31

Good news.

Habitat destruction is the number one crime that our species perpetrates upon the biosphere.

Keith B.

#17 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 626 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 June 2013 - 20:02

Great news!

If anyone wants to read a bit more about this, here's an article in The Guardian - http://www.guardian....ection-heritage

#18 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 24 June 2013 - 21:52

Thank you Fred and all the others who worked for this wonderful cause!

Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#19 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 23:06

Wow, thanks everyone. I'll pass on this response.

There will be a couple more hurdles to go on this (already the opposition party, who will probably be voted into government in a few months) are muttering on as to how they never supported this, but I really can't see them seriously trying to overturn a decision by the UN on an actual Australian Government submission. If they did from what I understand it would be the first time ever that a World Heritage Listing would be reneged on by the very country that proposed it in the first place.

Still sifting through the events, but really chuffed to find that some of my photographs were used in the presentation of the submission. If indeed they did help with the outcome, all I can say is that this will be the most satisfying work I have ever done, even though there was never any expectation of pay or profit.

It has also greatly expanded on my understanding of why some people do what they do for conscience, and why others act purely on greed and self-interest by exposing me on a first-hand basis to both.

• jramskov likes this

#20 RogerB

RogerB

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 278 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 June 2013 - 00:49

Hi Fred,

Wonderful news!! I've so enjoyed your technical and social posts on the extent and diversity of this area. Recently at my grandson's class room event (first grade in USA - age 7), the teacher pointed out that she was involving the children on what it was to "be" a rain-forest. I gave her a link to a couple of your images on NG and urged her to dig for more of your work on her own if she wanted world class examples for images of this habitat. I was surprised when I told her about your work with gigabit photographs of the canopy that she didn't recognize any of the terms. Hopefully now she is a bit more educated and will pass it on to the children. My grandson and I have talked about it separately. It all happens in little bits and pieces but now there's an anchor in Tasmania from which more can emanate. 

Congratulations.

Best Regards,
Roger

It's still just aperture, shutter-speed and ISO.... right?
D700 | 16-35mm f/4 AFS VR | 24-120mm f/4 AFS VR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users