The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

hooking up and using a Nikon LS-2000 film scanner on a PC running Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rbsinto

rbsinto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 953 posts
  • LocationThornhill Ontario Canada. Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 23 June 2013 - 20:37

I just broke my Minolta Scanner and as no one can fix it, have gotten a Nikon LS-2000 from a photobud which I'll buy from him if I can get it to work.
My computer is a PC running Windows Vista and I have been running my scanners through Vuescan which works very well.
I had our Son who is vastly more computer-literate than I install the SCSI card in the CPU, but after hooking up the Scanner neither the computer not Vuescan recognizes that there is a scanner device hooked up.I'm hoping that someone here can help me trouble-shoot this to get the computer recognizing there is a scanner attached, and then hopefully getting the scanner to work.
Please and thank you.
I shoot film. That's film. F...i....l....m. You remember film don't you? It was in all the papers.

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 23 June 2013 - 21:14

The classic driver problem.

There is a thread on Photo.net that describes in detail what to do to get these components talking sensibly together.

The easiest solution is setting up an old Pc or laptop as a scanning station with say Windows 2000 where everything works.
Bjørn

#3 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 24 June 2013 - 18:03

What Bjørn says.

However, if it's an old scsi card, there may be jumpers on the card that need setting. If that isn't done correctly, the OS doesn't catch the interrupt and can't actually "find" the card. It's a long shot, i know.

HansC, doin' life

#4 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThornbury, near Bristol

Posted 24 June 2013 - 21:41

I just broke my Minolta Scanner and as no one can fix it, have gotten a Nikon LS-2000 from a photobud which I'll buy from him if I can get it to work.My computer is a PC running Windows Vista and I have been running my scanners through Vuescan which works very well.I had our Son who is vastly more computer-literate than I install the SCSI card in the CPU, but after hooking up the Scanner neither the computer not Vuescan recognizes that there is a scanner device hooked up.I'm hoping that someone here can help me trouble-shoot this to get the computer recognizing there is a scanner attached, and then hopefully getting the scanner to work.Please and thank you.

The SCSI card that came with my Nikon ls30 scanner did not work with anything later that Windows xp. I had to buy a rather expensive modern SCSI card and a suitable cable to get it to work with Windows 7/8. SCSI cards that work with win 7/8 are very thin on the ground, you will have to budget around £180.00+ for a suitable card. Alternately there are USB to SCSI adaptors if you can find one still.

#5 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 June 2013 - 21:56

A bog standard card such as AHA-2940 SCSI card should cost no more than a few $ on eBay and Windows 7 has the drivers in its driver base by default. It should fit a LS-2000 perfectly (in fact, that is the combination I used for years).

The problem is making Windows recognise the scanner as a suitable mate for the card. That is what the Photo.net thread was all about.
Bjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.