The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

OS X 10.9 Mavericks - anyone using that yet?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 23 June 2013 - 17:56

I think I will install it later today and just wondered what your thoughts and experience with it is so far?
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#2 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,491 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 23 June 2013 - 18:05

It isn't supposed to be released until the Fall.  Are you a beta tester/developer?

Edited by Ron Scubadiver, 23 June 2013 - 18:13 .

See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#3 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 23 June 2013 - 18:16

My iMac is too old to be compatible with it.

#4 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 19:36

It isn't supposed to be released until the Fall.  Are you a beta tester/developer?

Indeed it isn't, but pay a bit of money and you have access to the betas :)
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#5 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 23 June 2013 - 22:11

I am happy to wait until it is ready for proper release.  I am looking forward to it.

#6 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:16

My habit is to hasten VERY slowly with new OS -- I usually wait until we get to the third or fourth dot release where OSX is concerned because there have historically been too many problems from early releases of OSX with peripherals including incompatability with video, printer, scanner and tablet Drivers and independent software products.

I only moved to Mountain Lion ( now at 10.8.4) from Snow Leopard about a month ago ( I sat Lion out completely) so I don't have plans to meet Maverick much before Christmas. I don't worry about trying Beta Apps because they can always be uninstalled if they cause problems, but problems caused by the operating system itself are much more of hassle.

Edited by Ann, 24 June 2013 - 03:19 .

#7 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:52

I´m running Mavericks on my work computer (a 13" retina MBP). I upgraded to be able to use the second screen more freely (be able to swap desktops without moving the presentaion on the 2nd screen.

I have not had any problems with the OS yet but the new Safari have som problems with java and flash. MS Office, OmniGraffle and even Tunnelblick (openvpn) works fine. I don´t run LR on this machine. I upgraded to Mavericks and did not have to reinstall any applications.

I also run Mavericks on a mid 2009 MBP but on that one new display features are restricted. There is some features that don´t work with the nvidia card.

As you say Ann, it can be a bit risky som my main/home MBP is not upgraded yet I would not risk loosing my pictures. On work we use citrix and fileservers so a problem is not that dangerous  ;)

#8 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:19

I guess I suffer from a case similar to NAS ;) I was too curious about the new features so I installed it on my MBP last night. It took around 30 min and so far so good, but I have only played with it briefly.

Ann: You are of course correct, installing a new OS, particularly beta releases is not something you should just do. It's something that needs to be planned. What you can do though, is to install it on a seperate partition or in a virtual machine.
Joergen Ramskov

#9 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,491 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 June 2013 - 15:24

I saw a post somewhere that CC would not instal on the Maverick beta.  Anyone with experience with this or CS6?

See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#10 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 15:48

I only have LR5 and it works fine.
Joergen Ramskov

#11 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 16:39

Mavericks is essential for any photographer, mandatory upgrade day of release, imho.

Why?

Tagging. Although meta tagging is available for photos for a long time now, Mavericks makes it so easy for the OS to do it. Coupled with the ability of spotlight to take advantage of this new tagging and will create an OS that makes image organization easy.

Lets not forget the 4K displays arriving alongside the Mac Pro, the only way to drive those displays will be via Mavericks.

FWIW, Mavericks and a 4K display are mandatory for me.

I expect to pay 10-13K USD for the privilege of running Mavericks in all its glory this x-mas.

#12 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:03

I´m not that sure.

Tagging that requires a proprietary filesystem sounds a bit scary to me.

More optimized cpu use, longer battery life and the possibility to use Airplay or second monitor as a "standalone" display are more interesting to me.

#13 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:23

I'm not so sure about the tagging feature. I would think that only works as long as you're using HFS+ filesystems created/updated to OS X 10.9? I would be quite surprised if the tagging still worked on files stored on a NAS or other network attached storage.
Joergen Ramskov

#14 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 18:25

:dontknow: You tell me. I'm not a beta tester.

Edited by yunfat, 25 June 2013 - 18:26 .

#15 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 19:01

:dontknow: You tell me. I'm not a beta tester.

I was able to create a document with labels on my Qnap NAS using an AFP share.

Label are available in the save box even in old applications (I used text wrangler now)

There are a predefined list of labels but possible to add your own.

save.png

Edited by peroo, 25 June 2013 - 19:05 .

#16 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 25 June 2013 - 22:08

I saw a post somewhere that CC would not instal on the Maverick beta.  Anyone with experience with this or CS6?

Could well be a problem with both CS6 and CC as well as with third party plug-ins and drivers.

These will all be upgraded to run with Maverick when it ships officially in the Fall: jumping the gun before that date is asking for crashes and freezes.

CC and Lr 5 were only released a week ago and many third-party products have not been updated yet to run in these programs on OSX 10.8.4 -- let alone OSX 9.

#17 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 25 June 2013 - 23:57

My new MacBook Air is on its way, but I'm not interested in testing any beta versions or even the release candidates.  For the extensive testing, you would need a dedicated test machine, not the main one.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#18 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:03

Could well be a problem with both CS6 and CC as well as with third party plug-ins and drivers.

These will all be upgraded to run with Maverick when it ships officially in the Fall: jumping the gun before that date is asking for crashes and freezes.

CC and Lr 5 were only released a week ago and many third-party products have not been updated yet to run in these programs on OSX 10.8.4 -- let alone OSX 9.

According to release notes there is a problem with CS6 after effects.

#19 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:12

My new MacBook Air is on its way, but I'm not interested in testing any beta versions or even the release candidates.  For the extensive testing, you would need a dedicated test machine, not the main one.

Testing with a dedicated machine is just testing. You will not detect all problems that way.

I´m now on Beta 2 on my main work laptop. If I run into problems I can switch to a backup machine and use citrix.

But as Ann says, I would not use beta software in producton if I was earning my living by using Adobe CC/CS.

Edited by peroo, 26 June 2013 - 07:13 .

#20 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 26 June 2013 - 17:58

I would never install Beta System OS on anything except either a dedicated computer or a removable external Bootable HD.

Unless you use only Apple's own Applications, it's just asking for trouble  — especially if you run third party software from the same computer.

Almost certainly, you will finish up needing to do a complete reformatting of your HD  — and a fresh installation of all of your Applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.