The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone done the X-E1 1.04 / X-Pro1 2.03 FW update?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:47

I'm reluctant due to reported problems with this FW. What are your experiences wrt AF?

Regards, Daniel

#2 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:02

I will do ittomorrow. Too tired tonight.

#3 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:14

Hi Vivion,

please let us know what you think. Apparently the lens has to be removed to first update the body. I didn't do this last time round as I may have overlooked this in the written procedure.

Regards, Daniel

#4 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:43

Hmmm. As I paradoxally did not read the directions (I do this for a living), I did not remove the lens and everything seems to be working just fine. I can't give an analytical report on any differences, I have not had any problems, so far. My experience is with the X-E1 and the 35mm lens, so I cannot to speak to any other configuration.

Edited by Longhiker, 01 February 2013 - 22:44 .

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#5 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 23:59

It in fact seemed to want the 35mm lens installed before updating the camera's firmware (it failed to update without the lens attached, in fact). (X-Pro1).

As far as the update goes, not being obsessive about my equipment's mechanical workings meant that I didn't notice any difference with the camera's performance, but then I didn't really try it out with that in mind and I always update as a matter of course just to be current. I mostly use manual focus 3rd party lenses with manual or A exposure modes, so I wouldn't notice any change in AF even if it had occurred.

Edited by Fred Nirque, 05 February 2013 - 21:00 .

#6 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:46

i updated it without issue, and also updated the 35 f/1.4. i think the 18 and the 18-55 told me they had the latest firmware already.

i'm not sure there's any difference. i attempted to use the camera this afternoon/evening to take some indoor candids at a restaurant and was reminded why it's so unsuitable as an only or main camera. unable to focus on reasonably high contrast targets 9 out of 10 times, and when it did, it took many seconds. totally useless. f/4 vs f/1.4 may be a big difference here.

it hadn't occured to me that perhaps the new firmware screwed it up. i'll look into that but i doubt it.

Edited by schwett, 02 February 2013 - 03:46 .

http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#7 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:08

Schwett did you take the lens off your X-E1 to update the body?

Regards Daniel

Edited by aerobat, 02 February 2013 - 05:09 .

#8 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:26

i did.
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#9 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:06

I have just upgraded the firmware for the X Pro 1 body and for the 18mm, 35mm and 18-55mm lenses.

N.B. Each lens MUST be mounted on the camera for the respective firmware upgrade. I upgraded the firmware for the body with the 35mm lens on the camera.

The autofocus with the 18 and 35 is as fast as before, if not faster. My 18-55 zoom is new, so I have no basis for comparison. But autofocus is satisfactory.

No problems are apparent after the upgrade.

Edited by vivionm, 02 February 2013 - 12:07 .

#10 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:06

Thanks Vivion, Fred and Schwett. I didn't take the lens off before updating the body as I find it cumbersome. This is a new instruction from Fuji and wasn't there on my last update. I think the update order is important -> 1. body 2. lens. With this additional instruction they can ensure that the body gets updated first. But you can control the order through the update dialog.

I've updated tonight and there's no increase in lens noise or aperture blade chatter as reported elsewhere. I'd say that my 35mm hunts more under difficult conditions in order to ensure proper AF lock. This is perfectly acceptable as an out of focus picture isn't. So far in dim light the keeper rate is very high.

I need to check the backlit subject AF performance in daylight tomorrow.

Ok so now I hope Fuji will give us min shutter speed functionality with AUTO ISO as they did in a later X100 firmware.
And focus peeking would be nice to improve manual focus. Otherwise this little camera grows on me day by day.

Regards, Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.