The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Polarising filter

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 danaa

danaa

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 157 posts
  • LocationÅs, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:20

Do you still use a polarising filter?
Dan

#2 arthurking83

arthurking83

A royal pain in the ass

• Life Member
  • 946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:47

yep! .. almost always for me.

#3 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:53

For photographic copy work only.

#4 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:15

Yes, the Nikon slim CPL 77mm but I haven't used it in years as I've sold all my 77mm zooms.

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#5 Amberglass

Amberglass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCanton, MA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:23

Yes, and it's the only filter that really can't be fully reproduced in post processing successfully. Well at least for me that is.
I think that emotional content is an image's most important element, regardless of the photographic technique. Much of the work I see these days lacks the emotional impact to draw a reaction from viewers, or remain in their hearts.  Anne Geddes

#6 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:55

Yes, and it's the only filter that really can't be fully reproduced in post processing successfully. Well at least for me that is.

Nor for anyone else.
Polarizers change the physical nature of naturally incoherent reflected visible light into coherent, aligned (polarized) rays. This cannot be done after the incoherent rays have been captured as such, it has to be done between the source and the capture.

#7 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:38

Of course I use polarizing filters when needed. Other filters I use are ND-grads, and ND-filter (Big Stopper and Vari-ND) when I want less light to reach the sensor.

Bjørn J

#8 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:44

Please advise me on how to apply the time stretching abilities of an ND-filter in post :)
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#9 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:55

Please advise me on how to apply the time stretching abilities of an ND-filter in post :)

Yeah I'd like to know that one too :)

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#10 Amberglass

Amberglass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCanton, MA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:26

It's easy really. 3 consecutive shots of Tequila with one fast face plant on the desk in front of the monitor you're editing from LOL. :D
I think that emotional content is an image's most important element, regardless of the photographic technique. Much of the work I see these days lacks the emotional impact to draw a reaction from viewers, or remain in their hearts.  Anne Geddes

#11 seric

seric

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 20:27

I could see if being possible by blending multiple exposures in some circumstances.
--
Keith Seric

#12 danaa

danaa

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 157 posts
  • LocationÅs, Norway

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:32

OK, I have to upgrade my old ones. There are some from Hoya that can be used for "wide angle" too.
Dan

#13 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 929 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:39

I use a B+W 82mm Kasseman MRC circular to fit a Zeiss 21 and with a 77mm step down ring for Nikon glass. I also have a Hoya, but it's really a piece of junk.

#14 danaa

danaa

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 157 posts
  • LocationÅs, Norway

Posted 01 February 2013 - 14:02

Ah, step-down rings may be a suitable solution. I do have a 77mm B+W but it is rather thick.
Do you really think that all Hoya is junk?
Dan

#15 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 929 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:12

Nope, just the one I have :D .

One problem with using a step-down ring is you can't use the hood which can be a giant pita.

Edited by JohnBrew, 01 February 2013 - 20:14 .

#16 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:18

Hey guys, from a simple question we have a whole load of replies.....

...but no one's posted some examples, or reasons why they still find these so valueable. I'm sure some of you have some gems that will inspire danaa to try using one a bit more.
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#17 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 671 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:51

Yep. Polarizers are the only filters I carry in my bag these days. When I shot film I carried a full stack of Cokin filters...

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

#18 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:09

Well probably that the OP didn't ask for examples was the reason no-one posted any.

Why you use the contra-polarizing technique in copying photographs (photographing stippled paper without polarized lights & lens filter at left):

Posted Image

For silvered photographs:

Copy without polarizers, restoration after copying with polarizers and retouching.
Posted Image

Sorry, I couldn't find any bigger saved files.

Edited by Fred Nirque, 02 February 2013 - 12:41 .

• yunfat and Colin-M like this

#19 Tejpor

Tejpor

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:05

Very englightening, Fred. Thanks for the tip!

#20 danaa

danaa

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 157 posts
  • LocationÅs, Norway

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:22

I have done a lot of copying work, but never thought on using a polarising filter. I will try so next time. Thanks!
  • yunfat likes this
Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.