The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Thom Hogan`s Olympus OM-D E-M5 review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Petteram

Petteram

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56

Dont know if this has been posted before:

http://www.sansmirro...-m5-review.html

Petter

#2 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,935 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:38

http://photographyli...ympus-om-d-e-m5

now you may even compare

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,160 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:40

That's like War & Peace on the OM-D. I beg your pardon, E-M5.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#4 Petteram

Petteram

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:50

That's like War & Peace on the OM-D. I beg your pardon, E-M5.

Yup, the name is E-M5 :D

#5 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,160 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:04

He's pretty much re-iterated what we already all knew, so nothing new to be gleaned from this review.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#6 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:31

The 5-axis stabilization is what differentiates the E-M5 from other m4/3 cameras but there seems to be a drawback. Since self-cleaning the sensor can put this gizmo out of whack, Olympus requires the user to send the E-M5 to Olympus for servicing whenever the sensor needs cleaning.

For the current users, did you know this about the E-M5 when you bought it? What impact will this have with regard to having chosen the E-M5?

Edited by Larry, 30 January 2013 - 13:35 .

#7 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,160 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:47

I've never cleaned a sensor myself yet, so for me it is a non-issue. Been using digital cameras since 2001.

#8 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,196 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 30 January 2013 - 20:18

I had read Hogan's review ,
the mansurov review is actually useful!

Thanks for posting the links

Edited by armando_m, 30 January 2013 - 20:20 .

• Humboldt likes this

Regards,
Armando 

#9 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 23:02

I've never cleaned a sensor myself yet, so for me it is a non-issue. Been using digital cameras since 2001.

You are a very lucky man.

#10 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:39

you must have a very unusual or particular working process. i've never had a camera whose sensor didn't need cleaning and every photographer i know in person has had to clean them or have them cleaned!

i wonder though, if thom's comments are a little exaggerated. would anything bad really happen if you cleaned the em-5 sensor?
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#11 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31

i wonder though, if thom's comments are a little exaggerated. would anything bad really happen if you cleaned the em-5 sensor?

Thom's comment on this caught me by surprise as the E-M5 has been a very popular model and until Thom's review, this is the only time I learned that Olympus has specified that the E-M5 be returned to it for servicing if the sensor needs cleaning. Thom did state in his review that he expects this comment would be sit well with many.

But if Olympus did specify such a requirement, I would like to hear from those who own the camera. If you have wet-cleaned the sensor, are there any indications that the 5-axis IS has been compromised? To those who have not cleaned the E-M5 sensor, would you wet-clean the sensor yourself and risk it?

Edited by Larry, 31 January 2013 - 06:35 .

#12 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,160 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:24

Yes, I have had dust on the sensor before, and when it gets to the point where it becomes a problem I send off the camera to somebody who can clean it. I'm not anally retentive to the point of obsession as to whether there is a dust spec on the sensor. I see no problem with doing the same for the OM-D when it is necessary.

#13 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:45

First impression on OM-D pollution & cleaning : with no moving mirror, it seems that the propensity to get droplets, bubbles or whatever on the sensor is much reduced. The D700 needed cleaning every 6 months (I am not obsessive about cleaning), the D800 seems to need more, and about the D600, I guess you read about the complaints.

And I am swapping lenses much more frequently with the OM-D, by the way (I have no m43 zoom lens, while I often use the holy trinity with the D800).

#14 danielm46

danielm46

• Subscriber
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:17

I usually appreciate the reviews that Thom Hogan do with the different photo equipment he personally owned. And I was curious about his evaluation of the OM-D E-M5 as he call it since I know he have already been use the model for an extended period of time. I agree for most of his remarks especially when he draw a parallel with the Nikon D7000 (we have follow the same path...).
Many of us love the E-M5 because of the size of the material (OM magical proportion), the very promising line of prime lenses, the expected durability of the material and the Olympus image rendering signature... and surely for many other reasons!
I just want to add that the OM-D E-M5 is clearly part of a system vision a bit as like it was at the moment of the introduction of the legendary OM-1 (M-1) in 1972. Therefore direct comparison with others DSLR system are difficult because of the different directions in the offer of each systems in term of camera features in and out and also in lens and accessories respective selection.
For my part Olympus offer is representing a modern Leica vision of doing photography as they have already done t the time of the 35mm OM line.

After a few months of use, I didn't have specific issues regarding the cleaning of the image captor. I just hope it stays that way as long as possible.
F, F2A, F3, F4S, F5 ... I have loved them all and today I am still a Nikon user for the best and the ...
Nikon has a special photo signature that has and still match to my vision of the world even today.

http://photodanielm.blogspot.ca

#15 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:36

As a camera, the E-M5 has almost everything I need and look for in an m4/3 camera and it is only lack of a more capable video in the E-M5 that can at least equal the GH2 that held me back from getting one. The GH3 surpassing the GH2 for video means that my next m4/3 camera will be the GH3 but I remain very keenly interested in the E-M5 and have recommended this to those who have asked for my help and recommendation in choosing a camera.

Thank you for the feedbacks on the matter of the E-M5 sensor cleaning.

Edited by Larry, 09 February 2013 - 17:37 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.