#21 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:47

Bruce mentioned Apple's Tech Support in connection with older machines.

Why not ask your question in the appropriate Apple Forum? I find that you will get an answer within just a few minutes from people who have more experience and knowledge than even the Genii in the Apple Stores.

Most of the answers can probably also be found in David Pogue's "Mac OSX -- The Missing Manual" and the staff at OWC are incredibly helpful if you need to upgrade internal hardware.

#22 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,313 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:51

Oops, doubled up.

Edited by Fred Nirque, 28 January 2013 - 04:57 .

#23 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,313 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56

I do agree, BTW, about the "bundled" repairs thing. It's just all wrong.
I gotta say if Apple ever decides to make DSLRs, then I'm in 'cause their repair service is so incredibly customer friendly that it is almost an anachronism in this day & age!

Apple products break down????? Really???? :devil: :D

#24 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:20

Seeking Tech Support for a Mac is more likely to be because the User needs help with procedures than with a mechanical break-down and HDs and Ram which go south are easily replaced by the User.

I don't see any point in purchasing a Tech Support Service and I no longer buy Extended Apple Care either because I never used it when I did have it so my expenditure on it was a total waste of money.

Modern RAM seems very robust if you buy it from respectable sources -- if it doesn't fail within the Warranty period, it seems to go on working for years.

#25 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 19:50

It might be time for an aggrieved customer to contact Nikon HQ in Japan and forward to them the BBB report and links to a number of the discussions on the web concerning Nikon USA's deteriorating reputation.

Japanese companies hate to "lose face" and this developing scandal could reach almost the same shameful dimensions as did Olympus's accounting fraud.

I can't imagine that Nikon's Board of Directors in Japan would be happy to find their name being dragged through the mud by a criminal prosecution for fraud in the US Courts?

Hmmm... maybe not fraud in the US; but monopolistic practices may have a shot. If someone writes to Nikon Japan, a mention of that, with the attendant publicity might get some movement...

Rags

#26 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:09

I have no Nikon USA Service horror stories since I have not had many experiences with Nikon USA's service dept, but I'd happily write to Nikon Japan to advise them that their reputation in the USA is going down the tubes because of Nikon USA's unprofessional, sleazy and irrational Service Department. Any hints as to who to write to?
Keith B.

#27 Amberglass

Amberglass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCanton, MA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:31

Always used http://nikoncamerarepair.com. Never ever had an issue, always prompt and courteous for customers highly recommend them if you're in the US. They used to be Nikon's USA official website for repair and referral but no longer. Now isn't that interesting? Perhaps Nikonians are no longer giving business to the New York facility?
I think that emotional content is an image's most important element, regardless of the photographic technique. Much of the work I see these days lacks the emotional impact to draw a reaction from viewers, or remain in their hearts.  Anne Geddes

#28 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:39

Thank you for the Link to APS/Nikon Repairs.

I have bookmarked it and that is where any cameras which I need to send for repairs in the future will be going!

#29 waltonksm

waltonksm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:19

Not that it will do any good, but I found I was just selected randomly to answer some questions about my recent contact with Nikon USA service dept. They wanted to know how I felt about Nikon products, and gave me a lengthy space I could use to write about my experience (supposed to be just based on the most recent contact with them.) They said it was anonymous and Nikon would not respond to this. I gave them my email anyway, for what it was worth. I suggested that Nikon USA spend a little time scanning forums to see what their customers felt about their service. Yeah, I know, probably more tilting at windmills. But every little bit might help in the end. And I have also contacted APS about repairs. I am calling them during business hours to see what they can tell me about attempting a repair. My gut tells me this is like a computer problem, and some sort of short probably means replacing whatever the D90 has that is like a computer motherboard. Again, thanks so much for the alternative repair site. And thanks to all who have helped me learn about Nikon repair service in the US.

Edited by waltonksm, 30 January 2013 - 09:21 .

#30 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:28

Not that it will do any good, but I found I was just selected randomly to answer some questions about my recent contact with Nikon USA service dept. (...) Yeah, I know, probably more tilting at windmills. But every little bit might help in the end. (...)

As you point out, there is very limited room for optimism. As somebody who is involved on the (very large) company side of surveys, I can tell you this:

• When things go good, nobody cares about the survey. And with “things go good” I mean financially.
  • When things go bad, some attention will be paid to the survey. I'm working for a company that claims to be all about “honesty,” “upright,” and “taking responsibility.” The perception is there that Japanese corporate culture is a bit different in that respect. My boss tells me to do everything I can to make the survey “look good,” so I can only imagine what my Japanese counterparts are doing.
  • “The customers we care about” tend to be given a heavier weight. From what I understand, NPS service is stellar; free loaner equipment so it's not really an issue when your equipment is out for 3 months while Nikon is trying to get its act together, those kind of things. So I'm sure from the 1% that Nikon deems “important” there are no complaints. The 99% that brings in 95% of the revenue, yeah, but who cares?
  • IF the stars align, and that's a big if, and somehow management decides that the service levels in the USA do need to change, then you're dealing with a ship that is slow to turn. The problems portray suggest more a culture of sloppiness (asking for the paperwork when it's in the box) than anything else. Cultural change is hard and takes time

The stupid thing is that what Nikon is doing—nickling and diming their customers—is extremely shortsighted and counterproductive. Yes, you save money on what you spend on service & repair. Of course when it comes to your reputation, the ROI of that money spent far exceeds spending it on advertising and marketing. A million dollars spent on ads in glossy magazines and billboards gets you nothing. That same million spent on service gets you tons of happy customers who will sing the praise of your brand and do that what is hardest to achieve—become brand evangelists.

It's telling and frightening that somebody like Roger Cicala (Lensrentals.com) is absolutely blasting Nikon service and makes remarks like "if they continue like this they will need a lot of new customers." Because I don't think he has an agenda, and he knows from experience how things look on "the other side" as he's dealing with all major brands. With the competition it's getting from the mirrorless cameras, Nikon should realize that the last thing it needs is giving it's customers yet another reason to defect.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#31 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:56

Well said Bart

Rags

#32 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:02

Just a heads up, after my africa trip, I recently sent in my NEX-7 to Sony "in pieces", and functionally broken, due to my abusive nature (but still under the one year warranty).

I was fully expecting them to DOA the camera and tell me to eff off.

Well, to my surprise, my NEX-7 came back with two pages of repairs and a handwritten note from the service manager stating they "had to add some parts to my camera because some were missing"... LOL

No charge.

Reminds me of the good ol days at Nikon.

One can surmise that Sony's foray into high end digital is for real, because service like this makes pro's very happy.

As to Apple, after killing two $4000 mac pro's, in a row, over the last six years, they just gave me a new one the last time I went in for service. Thank you Apple Store Boca.

#33 retief

retief

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 425 posts
  • LocationPacific NW, USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:47

It's telling and frightening that somebody like Roger Cicala (Lensrentals.com) is absolutely blasting Nikon service and makes remarks like "if they continue like this they will need a lot of new customers." Because I don't think he has an agenda, and he knows from experience how things look on "the other side" as he's dealing with all major brands. With the competition it's getting from the mirrorless cameras, Nikon should realize that the last thing it needs is giving it's customers yet another reason to defect.

I think you may be hitting the nail on the head here, with the "new customres" portion of this quote. As long as they continue to get "new customers" the money keeps rolling in, right? And of those with current cameras how many actually get cameras fixed vs. just getting a new camera? I am guessing that if you look at the various models far more of the less expensive cameras are sold than the "higher end", and I am guessing that those who complain about the service, like the Lensrentals folks, are not dealing with the lowest cost items. So as long as the bottom line is looking good, the profit is where it needs to be. Sad state of affairs, in my opinion.
Bill Dewey

The Focused Eye

"The Older I Get, the Better I Was........"
- aspiring photographer and didgeridooist extraordinaire -

#34 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 17:09

It appears that Nikon has a revolving door policy with their CEOs. After sitting in as directors they get a shot to run a division.

The current CEO has been there about three years. The tsunami gave him a pass on profit for a few years.

Under his stewardship the QC has deteriorated and customers service declined.

If Nikon is sponsoring surveys the issues have gotten someone's attention. Maybe something good will happen

My guess is, in the rush to profit, had some cams come out before they were ready (V1) and they couldn't handle the fall out

Rags

#35 Michael Kan

Michael Kan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 956 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:11

It might be time for an aggrieved customer to contact Nikon HQ in Japan and forward to them the BBB report and links to a number of the discussions on the web concerning Nikon USA's deteriorating reputation.

Japanese companies hate to "lose face" and this developing scandal could reach almost the same shameful dimensions as did Olympus's accounting fraud.

I can't imagine that Nikon's Board of Directors in Japan would be happy to find their name being dragged through the mud by a criminal prosecution for fraud in the US Courts?

Ann, Japan becomes a huge dark black hole.
As soon as "stuff" is escalated to "there", it is sometimes lost for months. Going on month 9 for a software issue now.
And, even US staff complains about this - it happens to them personally!
Happy shooting and best regards,

Michael

http://magnumexcursions.com

Nikon D4, D800E, D300S
Glass from 8mm to 800mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users