Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:35

I won't tell you how long I've been trying to get some up-close buzzard
shots.

Here's a few, the last of which could have been such a good photo, unfortunately
I messed it up comprehensively with the focus.
Please click on images to enlarge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This should have been so much better, lol.

Posted Image

Thanks for looking.
  • Gastronauta likes this

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#2 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationMannheim, Germany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:59

Wonderful birds and wonderful images of them ... #1 is just great ... these eyes and how they focus their prey :)

Chris

... Indeed a pity that the last one is a bit suboptimal ...
Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

#3 Foveola

Foveola

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 572 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Michigan

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:05

Tony:

1 &3 are my favorites, with a slight nod to #3 because of the clean background behind the head.

If mine, #4 would go on my wall of shame, near misses that I try and think about and practice to get better for the next time!

Cheers

Randy

#4 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:32

Best capture of the bird is 1, can you do something to soften the background as it is a bit distracting. 3 has a better background. The last is the sort of shot to keep in one's private collection of near misses.

It really makes a difference to view the larger versions.

#5 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,532 posts
  • LocationNederland
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:09

a hard bird to capture..
they say you should take their picture from the car

#6 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:36

Thanks for your comments guys, it's appreciated.

The reason I posted the last shot was simply as an illustration of the type of image
I'm hoping to get, I know it was poorly executed.
Working from a hide is quite(very) difficult, it's not easy to see approaching birds and any sudden movement
of my camera/lens the birds are off.Pre-focussing is a waste of time as the depth of field from the telephoto
is shallow and it's not possible to predict exactly where the birds will land.
Static shots of the birds are tricky enough at close range,capturing action as they squabble
with each other is proving particularly difficult.

These are wild birds, in the countryside and they are incredibly wary
the ever present crows and magpies are a real pain as they act as an audible alarm system!

I'm using a roadkill deer to attract the birds, though it's been frozen solid fo the last week or so, hopefully
the local red kites will also come to feed once they get confidence.
Any tips from anyone experienced in this type of photography would be appreciated.

As for photographing buzzards from a car, i've found as soon as I stop the car the birds
just fly off.

My present set up is on private land with no public access at least that means I can spend
time as necessary and there is no one else likely to disturb the birds, it is a double edged sword
though as the general lack of people in the area means the birds flee as soon as they see anyone.

This is an ongoing project, I'll post some more if I get any in focus, lol.

PS think I need to do some gardening to tidy the background as suggested.

Edited by wildoat, 25 January 2013 - 10:38 .

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#7 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,327 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17

Nice. Any raptor gets my attention. #1 nails the species perfectly "Watchoo lookin' at?...Wanna make sumthin' of it?..." :)

(I've seen one example of Australia's biggest raptors, a Wedge-tailed Eagle, attempt to take on a helicopter. )

#8 davepaterson

davepaterson

Ex-photographer

• Life Member
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationKillin, Scotland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:34

Fine series, Tony - I admire your patience. These really show what a superb bird the buzzard is; they tend to get ignored up here in the Highlands because all people want to see is golden eagles. On the other hand, they are often mistaken by visitors for eagles.
Dave Paterson

#9 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 13:40

Thanks Fred and Dave, appreciate your comments.

Fred those wedge tailed eagles are pretty enormous compared with the lowly buzzard, lol.

Dave,

The buzzard is underrated by some, surprising to think that anyone could mistake one
for a golden eagle, but saying that when they are high in the sky with no point of reference
or sense of scale I suppose it's understandable on occasion.
Patience helps when trying to photograph these birds, unfortunately for me they have all the time
in the world, recently watched one sat on a branch and not move for three hours, conserving energy
in cold weather is key to survival I guess.
Will have to see if I can improve on the shots I have already, though it may take some time :)

#10 averity

averity

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 674 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 25 January 2013 - 13:51

very nice series, i too have quite a few like #4 (_8(|)

Edited by averity, 25 January 2013 - 13:52 .

#11 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,753 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 25 January 2013 - 14:04

Nothing common about these buzzard shots Tony, very well done.

It's nice to read that you are really diving into the wildlife photography and with some very cool results to show for.

My only tip would be is to setup the bait on a spot with a less cluttered background (or a couple of more meters further away) as the TC does some funny stuff to it in some shots.
Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr
My Best Pics

#12 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 20:12

Averity,
appreciate your comment.

Jan,

thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.
You are spot on with the points you made, note to self, must try harder.
Watch this space!

Have a good weekend

cheers

tony

#13 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:56

The patience & dedication needed to take these comes out in the results Tony.

My only tip would be is to setup the bait on a spot with a less cluttered background (or a couple of more meters further away) as the TC does some funny stuff to it in some shots.

This too would have been my only comment too. Of course when stuck in a fixed position like the hide, your options are more limited (bet you needed your Thermos flask after a few hours too). When I first saw these, I wondered if you'd had to take along a supply of mice......using the ex-deer is a very practical approach.

The only decent shots I got of Kites was at a feeding centre. Here, they circled & wheeled for over an hour after the food was put out. If you have the time & opportunity, I believe they respond well to being fed regularly. The Welsh ones I visited had no problem with me being out in the open, only 70m away. The next 2 months would be the time to try, though regular feeding would be a real labour of love :(
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#14 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:19

Hi Colin,

the first time I photographed red kites was at Gigrin farm Nr Rhayader in mid Wales many, many years ago.
It's a good spot but can be tricky simply because there are often so many birds.

We have red kites here where I live and I see them everyday, literally.

We've had a pair nesting here for a couple of years though I'm legally bound not to photograph
them near the nest at nesting time as I don't have the necessary license from english nature!

Hoping to get some more images of buzzards and red kites over the coming weeks if all goes
to plan.

cheers

Tony
  • Colin-M likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users