Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:36

Posted Image
This is a non-scientific, practical working photographer’s review of an extreme wide angle lens from Sigma. There are no technical graphs or 100% crops, just my opinion and experience in using it and viewing images taken with it.

Introduction
For the past 4 years I have been using a Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 DG on both DX and FX bodies to do a little bit of interior and architectural work. It’s a large, but surprisingly light lens and it’s pretty sharp. However, it has some weaknesses, the biggest of these being that it flares very easily when pointed at a bright light source, even basic window light. In using it for various jobs I have also had to deal with high chromatic aberrations and a very warm, albeit not displeasing colour rendition. With editing software and some HDR trickery I’ve overcome its limitations and have enjoyed the extreme angle of view 15mm on full frame brings you.

A while back Sigma dropped that lens from their line up and the extreme wide angle zoom they offer now is a 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6II DG HSM model, which believe it or not is not a DX lens, but has been designed for FX (full frame) sized sensors. If I was impressed with the wide-angle view of 15mm, seeing things at 12mm on the newer lens became quite intoxicating. Yes, it’s a full frame, extreme wide-angle zoom lens, giving you a 122-degree, vertigo-inducing field of view at the wide end! Madness… and it's a lot of fun to shoot with!

Having a wide-angle lens is one thing. Being able to produce compelling imagery with one is another thing entirely. Most of us the first time we use such lenses tend to shoot them at the widest extreme, trying to get as much in the frame as possible and ending up with a lot of picture, but a picture of nothing in particular. Wide angles like 12mm invariably result in lots of dead space in images, particularly the foreground, or very small subjects off in the distance. When you’re shooting something this wide composition and perspective becomes even more important than is usually the case with a normal lens.

Fieldwork with the Sigma 12-24mm

So, what can you do with this lens? Where’s it good and where should you be careful when using it?

Unfortunately I haven’t had a great deal of architectural work come my way lately, so I haven’t been able to put it through any degree of real world testing for that specific purpose. What I have noticed though, in the course of making random images with it, is that the issues with flare I have on the older 15-30mm lens are not an issue with this lens. Barrel distortion at its wide end is surprisingly minimal, but as with any extreme wide angle lens, don’t put people near the edges of the frame otherwise you are going to see some funky head shapes.

Last year the guys from the massively popular UK Top Gear motoring show were in my hometown Durban for the first of 3 annual Top Gear Stadium Shows to be held here. For those of you who don’t know, Top Gear is probably the most watched motoring television show in the world and if you’re into anything that runs on 4 or more wheels with a petrol engine, these guys are hilarious to watch as they go about some rather silly motoring tests. Things as asinine as racing against the Royal Mail postal service from the southernmost point of the UK to its northernmost point being a prime example. Or fighter jets against super cars, etc, etc.

Anyway, I forked over a substantial amount of money for a couple of tickets to the first festival this year and my youngest son and I went off to the Moses Mabidha stadium for a day of typical Top Gear shenanigans, together with my Nikon D700 cameras and the Sigma 12-24mm. Inside the stadium they had laid down a proper asphalt track on the outside of the pitch and we settled in to watch the action. Now, I have been inside the MM stadium on a few occasions and some of you may recall some photos I took of this iconic stadium with its 30 story high arch during the soccer world cup in 2010. It’s a fabulous piece of architecture and has become synonymous with the city, hosting not only football, but also concerts and T20 cricket matches. We got seats on the second level of the stadium and I found myself in a perfect spot to take some more extreme wide angle shots of the inside of the stadium. This is what it looks like when you view it through a 12mm lens. Impressive, yes?

Posted Image
This is the inside of the iconic football stadium - click to enlarge

I also pointed the lens inside the engine compartments of some really expensive cars and the images in many ways make the car look like a clamshell!

Posted Image

Sharpness

I find the lens to be pretty sharp. Most of the time I am shooting this lens for maximum depth of field, so I tend to have it stopped down to between f/8 and f/13 and I am not disappointed with what I see. I once used to own a Nikon 17-35mm/2.8 AF-S ED and I don’t think that lens was a lot sharper than this one. Maybe wide open yes, but at the place where the sharpness is needed you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Posted Image
An example of "going closer" to fill your frame with lots of attitude! - click to enlarge

Build Quality & Aesthetics

This is a very well made lens! The built in hood is made of metal and the whole package is indicative of the way Sigma are going about producing their lenses these days - impressively. The zoom ring is smooth to operate as is the manual focus ring.

As with other extremely wide angle zoom lenses you won’t be able to put a filter on it as the front element is heavily curved. The lens cap is one of those snug fit types, but it does have a secondary piece in the form of a traditional cap that you can remove and put a screw in filter in its place. The result will be severe vignetting, so I have not seen any reason for its existence. Perhaps some other photographers will.

I have used it exclusively on a D700 and it feels quite at home on there. Nicely balanced. There’s no extending of the lens when zooming or focusing, which for me is a pretty big deal. I hate lenses that change size.

Posted Image
The only way I could get a shot of the Mercedes Formula 1 car at full speed with the crowds at Top Gear was to go wide, hold the camera above my head and point in the general direction of the subject. This gives you a great perspective - click to enlarge

Optical Performance

There is surprisingly minimal distortion when shooting this lens at 12mm (see example of interior office shot), but if you’re a Lightroom 4 user you need only tick the Enable Profile Corrections for this lens in the Develop module and you’ll see the distortion go bye-bye. Same thing for chromatic aberrations. One click and its sayonara.

Posted Image
This is an out of camera, uncorrected shot. You can see the distortion along the ceiling strips - click to enlarge.

Posted Image
Here's what happens after clicking the correction box in Lightroom 4. Click to enlarge.

Most of us will always use this lens at its widest point, but you should consider using it at the 24mm end also. It’s good there too.

Posted Image
Click to enlarge

Value For Money?

The Sigma 12-24mm sells at Amazon.com for $949, so it's not a cheap purchase for most casual photographers. I think it is a fair asking price though, because as far as wide angles go, this one offers a lot. You're getting the ability to zoom from an insanely wide 12mm up to 24mm, so it's not like it's a 1-trick pony ala fisheye lens (which if you're in the Sigma camp will see you spending +$600 for their 15mm option, or for the brand conscious Nikon users $900 for the Nikon 16mm). If you're looking for the fisheye effect from a rectilinear, I am sure there are some plugins or filters you could apply in post to get a similar effect.

DX users should be well pleased with this as a wide angle option and it will prove to be a worthy rival to the Nikon DX-only 12-24mm option, giving you an equivalent 18-36mm field of view on FX - a nice range.

The downside is that it's slow aperture definitely affects the vibrance of the scene in your viewfinder. Things look dim when compared to the Sigma 15-30mm - that lens is literally almost a whole stop faster on the wide end, but nowhere nearly as well built as the 12-24mm. And it's much bigger.

My Overall Conclusion

This is another pretty good lens from Sigma's new range. It’s made in Japan and you can feel it when you hold one. The quality is there, despite this not being a designated EX lens. The closest FX competitor it has on the current market is the Nikon 14-24mm/2.8, which costs twice the asking price. I have not used that Nikon lens so I can’t make a direct comparison, but I won’t hesitate to recommend this lens as an extremely wide option for photographers on a budget. 12mm on full frame is awesomeness!

More sample images can be found here.

Support Fotozones / Nikongear and get your lens from Amazon.com using this link. It doesn't cost you anything but we get referral commission from Amazon.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:55

This was only scheduled to go live tomorrow, but I have published it now as there are some other articles making an appearance next week.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#3 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 17 January 2013 - 17:37

Dallas, I agree with your review.
I bought my copy at the same time as I bought my D70 so it is the previous generation but same focal length and same aperture range. I did enjoy it with D70. Performance (edge sharpness) was not as good with D200 probably due to increased pixel density. D3/D3s are a little different story (pixel density comes into play once again) but extreme edge sharpness could be better. I have the 14-24/2.8 as well which I nowadays use as my extreme wide angle on full frame. The 14-24 produces sharp edge to edge images wide open but the Sigma has to be stopped down to f8. There is also big difference between 12 and 14 mm focal length. The Sigma is really crazy-wide on full frame sensor.

These days I pack the Sigma mainly in my travel kit (DX gear) and it serves well there being lighter than the 14-24. It could be faster though. Flare is really no issue - almost as good as the 14-24.

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

#4 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 17:42

Great job Dallas.
We really need reviews like this which in my view compliment the more technically biased offerings
we often see elsewhere.
When equipment is used in an actual shooting scenario we can glean much that the optical
test bench really cannot reveal.
From what I've seen I don't think this lens is comparable optically with Nikon afs 14-24
but as you point out there is a massive difference in cost but the Sigma is a viable alternative :)

Thanks for sharing.
  • Colin-M likes this

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#5 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:41

Good real world info here Dallas - I agree with Tony's comment above.

The only thing I have near to this is the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX (which seems good value for money) but I'd be interested to try the wider option.
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#6 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:34

No, it's definitely not in the same optical class as the Nikon 14-24/2.8, but it is what it is. A fairly good option for photographers who are looking to get really wide on FX without a massive compromise on optical quality and of course their budget. It's a good lens. :)

#7 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37

Thanks for sharing Dallas.
The Nikkor 12-24mm 14-24mm is another zoom, from Nikon, very hard to beat, but it seems Sigma is on right paths.
At that price range it gives a great ratio cost/quality.

Edited by PedroS, 18 January 2013 - 12:54 .

Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#8 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:24

Pedro, the Nikkor zoom is for DX only, so I don't think it is quite in the same playing field as this Sigma, which is FX. Of course both can be used on DX and will provide the same FOV, but never having had the Nikkor or a DX camera for a good few years it isn't a comparison I could make for this review, unfortunately.

#9 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:53

Hi Dallas, it was a typo... sorry
Should be Nikkor 14-24mm :dontknow:
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#10 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:12

I see you tested the lens on your new car.
I love that red.
Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#11 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:04

Not a big Ferrari fan, personally, but if somebody gave me one that might change. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sigma 12-24mm, review, real world review, nikon mount, optical stabilizer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users