#1 Foveola

Foveola

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Michigan
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 23:56

This Canada goose was imaged two days ago on a local lake. He was standing on ice that had a thin layer of water on it from recent rains. I liked the leaning pose and smooth color transitions

D4 600VR f/5.6 1/1250s ISO800

Post Processing: Cleaned up some debris on ice and smoothed the background a bit.

Advice and comments appreciated

Please click for the larger version.

Cheers

Randy

Attached Files

• Michael Kan and Alf Iversen like this

#2 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:14

Randy, I wouldn't dream of trying to advise you but a super picture it is. :good: :good:
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#3 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 16:53

Randy that's a mighty fine image, wouldn't change a thing :)
Well seen and captured.

tony

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#4 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:30

"Of course my foot's not frozen to the ice....."

I liked the leaning pose

Me too.

For this and the Loon shot, can you tell us a bit about what support you used?
I'd also be interested in whether a hide/blind was needed and how long you generally find yourself waiting to capture images like these.
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#5 Foveola

Foveola

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Michigan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:51

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Colin - The goose was shot using a Gitzo tripod with Wimberley II head. I was at my local bird sanctuary. I had been there dozens of times, but this was the first time that I had this combination of ice with a layer of water on the surface, and some actual sunshine. I was primarily shooting birds in flight (see my recent mallard post) but I always try to keep my eye open for interesting lighting, poses, or backgrounds. I took a number of shots of birds on the watery ice that morning, but this was my favorite, even though I rarely bother taking pictures of Canada geese, they are so common here.

The loon was taken while floating around in my little boat, with the camera mounted on a seat pedestal that brought it down so I could just see over the top of the gunwale. It is so low that I have to use a right angle finder.

I didn't need a blind in either case. I am blessed with some good shooting locations where the birds are used to humans. This is not often the case with loons in particular, so it helps get this type of shot.

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers

Randy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users