1 reply to this topic

#1 Hampus

Hampus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:18

I have a few nice Nikon non AI lenses that I use with the nikon F2. I got an adaptor for the OM-D for use with Nikon F-mount lenses and I'm really happy with how those old lenses perform on the OM-D. My only issue has been with focusing. It's very hard to focus from just looking through the viewfinder. Using magnifying view is awkward as it involves pressing a button for magnifying, pressing it again for getting out of magnifying view, recomposing, exposing and shooting. If whatever you tr to photograph moves around it's damn near impossible.

A while back I got a tip on using "Art filter 11-2" for focusing. It actually works as the edges or contrasty areas of whatever you are focusing on turn black when in focus. I wasn't too keen on running around with Art filter 11 engaged all the time though as the image in the viewfinder looks like abstract art by a high chimpansee, so I never used it.

Well, a few days ago I came across a brilliant little video on youtube that I almost didn't watch as I thought "I already know this", but ended up watching anyway. It tells you how to map Art filter 11 to a Fn key using one of the configurable "Myset" presets. I guess I should have known that about the camera but i didn't. Anyway to make a long story short. Now I just hold down the Fn button while focusing and as soon as I release it I'm back to my regular settings. Now focusing manually is almost as fast as focusing on my Nikon F2 with split prism.

Here's the video:

Oh, and I tried enabling the Teleconverter setting as he sais in the video but liked it better without.

Hope it helps someone.

/Hampus
http://nikongear.com...?topic=1469.100

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

#2 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:13

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Take the shot, you never know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olympus om-d e-m5, manual focus, focus peaking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.