The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

LightZone is now OpenSource.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:34

That means free.

The new release version isn't compiled yet, but legally the license restrictions and piracy potential no longer apply, already one suggestion for restarting the trial is on the site, with a proper form of license-free workaround promised shortly.

See here.
  • aerobat likes this

#2 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:43

Cool thanks for the heads-up Fred.

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:04

Nice. I used the demo years ago when I was test-driving Ubuntu (think it was Edgy Eft). Was a nice program, and I liked some of the B&W conversions I could do with it, but when failed video driver patch saw my machine suddenly unable to boot past the command line, I gave up on it. Might give a Mac or Windows version a spin just for the heck of it now. At a minimum it's great to have an open source RAW converter for when I'm travelling with only my office laptop in tow, and if it's still good, it might tempt me over to a Fuji mirrorless as a carry-around after all.

#4 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:54

It's good, Jack, but it's not an equal of ACR in general terms. It does give an alternative to the painterly effect that ACR imparts to Fuji X-Trans raw files via its basis in DCRaw demosaicing, but that does have its own problems in pixel-sized flaws in high-contrast edges, nor does it do any corrections for bright pixels or CA that ACR, SilkyPix and some other mainstream raw processors do by default, so a visit to Photoshop or similar afterwards to correct for these is sometimes mandatory.

For B&W it really is superb, though, and being free certainly doesn't work against it, either. The new development team is doing a rewrite of the code at the moment, so I'm looking forward to the end product. A serial number to beat the trial time restrictions of the current old release is easily enough found with a bit of Googling and now quite legal to use. As mentioned, there are workarounds suggested in the forum columns of the site as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.