The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Official Thread

olympus om-d micro four thirds official thread

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Official Thread (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this Camera

1. 1 Star (rubbish) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (poor) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (better than average) (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:44

The purpose of this topic is to allow members who have tried the Olympus OM-D E-M5 to post their opinions and photos taken with the camera. If you need a place to host your images and then link to them in here please feel free to use our dedicated Mirrorless Gallery.

Unlike our lens review threads members are free to ask questions and discuss the camera in this thread. Please try and keep it on-topic. If splinter discussions occur within the thread they will be moved to a thread of their own.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 17:17

This is definitely the King of the Mirrorless cams at the moment.

It has excellent image quality, fantastic AF-S auto focus and gives some high end DSLR's a serious run for their money on the high ISO front. It's not quite as good as my Nikon D700 in this regard, BUT if I want to go somewhere and get excellent IQ without being bogged down with a huge 35mm system this is the camera I reach for.

Nikon users will find it a bit strange to use because of the customisability of buttons and also a few other things that don't quite translate as well to the Nikon DSLR-speak we're used to.

The strong points are the outstanding LED screen at the back (that operates like an iPhone does), good EVF and excellent choice of lenses from both Olympus and Panasonic (as well as some 3rd party manufacturers).

Weaknesses I have found are the same as everyone else's observations: AF-C is a hit and miss affair, so don't expect to use this for fast moving subjects or sports. The biggest drawback for me is that when you are shooting sports at 9 frames per second, after the first shot the EVF gives you a preview instead of keeping you viewing the action. Hopefully a future firmware upgrade will sort that out.

If you're looking for the best IQ in the smallest package, this is the hardware for you.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#3 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 27 January 2013 - 21:14

Thanks for this encouraging "report" Dallas. The whole family (5 of us) will be going to NYC and Florida this summer and I am seriously thinking about the Olly as the holiday camera to get for this trip. It's such a wonderful excuse to buy more camera gear when I can argue that the Olly is much more family friendly.
  • Dallas and yunfat like this
Machina fotografica necesse est

#4 ashlandish

ashlandish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:31

It's such a wonderful excuse to buy more camera gear when I can argue that the Olly is much more family friendly.

Wish I could pull that off..... :good:

#5 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 799 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:17

Ditto - I would never get away with this approach either. However there is no denying Sten's style! :D G'donya mate!

Dallas, I think that a thread for the Olympus OMS E-M5 is a good idea. Maybe threads for for some of the other emerging platforms from Lumix, Fuji, and Sony-NEX for example would be good as well. I note that you have already got threads for a number of the M43 lenses.

It's such a wonderful excuse to buy more camera gear when I can argue that the Olly is much more family friendly.

Wish I could pull that off..... :good:

#6 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:27

Yup, I'm hoping the Content Committee will help me out with getting these going. You guys start them and I will index them.

Sten, the OM-D is the best travel camera there is. Period.

#7 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:40

In addition, it seems to be the perfect gear for my 16-years old daughter. It allows both serious and fun photography, not imposing "either or".
My son already grabbed the D700, now it is my daughter's turn to further lighten my Karma. Aren't they wonderful kids?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olympus, om-d, micro four thirds, official thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.