The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

I remember when rock was young

crocodile om-d olympus 45-175mm

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:05

We visited a commercial crocodile farm on Boxing Day just a bit north of the city. Amazing animals these! To think that they have been around since the dinosaurs is quite phenomenal. Our guide on the farm gave us some insights into their survival techniques and also demonstrated the levels of bravery (or stupidity, depending on how you view these things) required to jump into a pit full of massive crocs!

I knew a Rhodesian guy who called crocs "flat dogs". This image illustrates why. Click them to enlarge.

Posted Image

This is probably the last thing an unlucky wildebeest sees when crossing over into the Serengeti.

Posted Image

This is 3 year old croc they named Michael Jackson. Note the handlers (ahem) missing digit. He had lost his entire left index finger and half of his right index finger. When he offered to let me hold Michael Jackson I politely declined.

Posted Image

They also had a few alligators at the farm. These are about 6 times more valuable to the farm than the crocs. 1 juvenile alligator apparently sells for about $1000, whereas a juvenile Nile crocodile will go for about $150. The differences in the two creatures are quite pronounced when you get to see them close to one another.

Posted Image

The last stop on our tour of the farm was at Hannibal's pit. Seen here flashing at the curator's stick he is the largest croc they own (and they have over 5000 of them!), apparently he measures in at about 6.5m. He was predictably the only male in this particular pit!

Posted Image

Doing a trip like this with the OM-D was an absolute pleasure. I had the body together with my 3 Lumix lenses in a small video camera bag weighing no more than about a kilo (if that).

It's no wonder dpreview members voted it the best release of 2013.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Alf Iversen

Alf Iversen

Wannabe Amateur

• Life Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationValdres, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:59

Very nice 'Micro Documentary' on crocks, mr Dahms.
Might be a format to look closer at. Being the internet and all. Lots of context.
  • Dallas likes this
I have no sense of humor, but I can be unintentionally funny.

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:37

Good idea, Alf. Thanks for commenting. :)
  • Alf Iversen likes this

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#4 crowecg

crowecg

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:11

Just imagine what you could do with a Go-Pro....

#5 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,936 posts
  • LocationNederland
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:20

that 2nd image is goood, Dallas
happy newyear
  • Dallas likes this

#6 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:18

Just imagine what you could do with a Go-Pro....

Yeah, he should have had one on the end of that stick!

Thanks Fons. :)

#7 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationMannheim, Germany

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:17

Interesting series and #2 is indeed cool! You and Suzie surely had fun ...

happy new year!

Chris

Edited by Chris Wahl, 02 January 2013 - 18:19 .

• Dallas likes this
Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crocodile, om-d, olympus, 45-175mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.