The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Happy New Year, and an initial test of Sony E PZ 16-50!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:08

Hello folks, I wish a Happy New Year to you all!

Today I made a New Year's visit to Ikegami Honmonji shrine, one of the largest in Tokyo. I brought my new Sony NEX-5R with E PZ 16-50mm/f3.5-5.6 and would like to share some results here.

_DSC0083b.jpg

_DSC0085b.jpg

_DSC0098b.jpg

_DSC0107b.jpg

If you would pixel-peep them at 100% on the corners, you would be disappointed. But I would say that the lens offers the image quality decent enough to share on the 'net.

All but #4 shot at 50mm was shot at 16mm. The image #3 suggests that the distortion correction switched on in the camera doesn't seem to be reflected on ACR 7.3 (the latest version). I didn't switch the vignette correction on in the camera, because the vignetting of wideangle lenses doesn't really bother me personally. The vignetting practically disappears at longest end as indicated by the image #4 (shot wide open at f5.6).

Edited by Akira, 01 January 2013 - 06:13 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#2 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:04

Hi Akira,

So much has been crammed into this small pancake power-zoom 16-50mm that one cannot realistically expect it to shine at its most challenging widest focal length. I can see however that the 50mm is pretty good. Can you comment on this lens' performance within the 20-24mm range? Thank you.

Edited by Larry, 16 January 2013 - 12:06 .

#3 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 20:26

Thanks for the bump, Larry. :D

I will perform further tests with the performance of the mid-range of the zoom.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.