The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Christmas party

nikon v1 exposure sb-5n

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:37

The more I use my V1, the more impressed I become with it. There is no doubt that it has some shortcomings (especially when it comes to handling) but I'm amazed on how much power such a small system can pack. The SB-5N flash may not be very powerful, is it also ridiculously small, and unlike the monstrously big (in comparison) SB-400 it can tilt and twist.

Shooting at our department's Christmas party (hosted by one of the directors) I was amazed on how pleasing the light came out, using this humble toy-flash.

Posted Image

None of the photo's required extensive work in post...

Posted Image

And even in fairly tough situation I think that the V1 absolutely nailed it (flash bounced off on the facade to the left/behind me), pretty much straight out of camera.

Posted Image

Those that can afford should definitely get it in the current $300 fire sale; I doubt you'll regret it. It's not a perfect camera but if you want something small and less intimidating than an SLR, this is a very good option (especially with one of the primes mounted on it).
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#2 retief

retief

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 426 posts
  • LocationPacific NW, USA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:47

Neat. I got my V1 when the "fire sale" got going after the V2 announcement, and I agree, it is a great little camera. You ought to see it mounted at the end of my 400mm f2.8 AFS-1 with the TC-20E III attached. Looks like there is no camera there at all, but boy it is a hoot to shoot at that magnigication, and impossible to hand hold :D

I have not yet purchased a flash, as I am waiting for the "new and all-powerful" SB-n7. Looks like they are available now, guess I'd better order one up. While this limits me somewhat, without the flash, I am still amazed at how well the images look indoors with available light. Mine will get used tomorrow for sure, as the entire family will be here for Christmas.

I really like the flames in the 3rd shot, quite neat.
Bill Dewey

The Focused Eye

"The Older I Get, the Better I Was........"
- aspiring photographer and didgeridooist extraordinaire -

#3 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:33

Good demonstration Bart.
Seems folk are more relaxed generally when stood infront of a smaller camera,
not sure why that should be.

Have a great Xmas.

Tony

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#4 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:34

Neat. I got my V1 when the "fire sale" got going after the V2 announcement, and I agree, it is a great little camera. You ought to see it mounted at the end of my 400mm f2.8 AFS-1 with the TC-20E III attached. Looks like there is no camera there at all, but boy it is a hoot to shoot at that magnigication, and impossible to hand hold :D

I have not yet purchased a flash, as I am waiting for the "new and all-powerful" SB-n7. Looks like they are available now, guess I'd better order one up. While this limits me somewhat, without the flash, I am still amazed at how well the images look indoors with available light. Mine will get used tomorrow for sure, as the entire family will be here for Christmas.

I really like the flames in the 3rd shot, quite neat.

Bill,

you just have to share some images taken with the V1 and the 400 +2x very curious.

Have a great xmas.

tony

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#5 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,175 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:46

Excellent shots, Bart. I was keen on a V1 for a while, but then I got the OM-D which I think is just amazing (obviously at a different price point to the V1). If they were available here for $300 I think I would get one too, but then I think I would prefer an iPad mini for that money! :)

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#6 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:52

Good show Bart. I just shot a few party pics with a X100, which didn't work out good. And I'm well aware how to shoot with that camera ...

#7 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 December 2012 - 19:23

Thanks for sharing Bart. I haven't bought the flash for my V1 yet but tried it out at the camera store and was also amazed at how the pix of people turned out. They didn't have the deer in the headlights look. The flash was quite soft as your pictures bear out, even without a diffuser. I'm just waiting for the price to drop a bit. The V1 is definitely a very capable camera and so small an unassuming. Great for fast grab shots especially with the new 18.5 1.8 lens which put ahead of the flash purchase. Check it out you won't be sorry you bought it. It's nice to have that shallow DOF in your shots. Regards, Gerry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon v1, exposure, sb-5n

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.