The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

NX2 saved edit steps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrdale

mrdale

• Subscriber
  • 23 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 19 December 2012 - 23:04

Curently my work flow is to edit the raw file>size/resolution>noise reduction/sharpening>save as jpeg. Later I want to re-visit the shot and see what edit steps I used, perhaps to make it better. How can I see the original editing steps ? I've looked at both the nef & jpeg but don't find any listing of the editing steps. Anyone know where this info is stored ?

dale
www.flickr.com/photos/photodale

#2 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:19

Forget the jpg, but NX2 should show these for the NEF.
Unless you've changed the display options or minimised the workflow panel??
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#3 marcusb

marcusb

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:53

You need to save the NEF before using the "save as" to convert to jpeg. So then you will have two files; a NEF with the editing steps and the jpeg without the editing steps.

-Mark

#4 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,935 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 20 December 2012 - 14:09

You need to save the NEF before using the "save as" to convert to jpeg. So then you will have two files; a NEF with the editing steps and the jpeg without the editing steps.

-Mark

of course this only works when you (re-)edit with nxview2 or nx2 again
eg photoshop ignores your editing steps

Edited by Fons Baerken, 20 December 2012 - 14:10 .

#5 arthurking83

arthurking83

A royal pain in the ass

• Life Member
  • 946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:08

If edit steps made to an NEF via CaptureNX2, the actual edit steps are not viewable in ViewNX2. Only the saved NEF is as saved.
But nothing other than adding extra metadata is allowable to this NEF file .. no exporting or resaving can be done via ViewNX2.
The thumbnail image will have the distinctive CaptureNX icon beside it to indicate that CaptureNX2 is required again to perform any additional editing.

But as marcusb said, to save the edit steps made in CaptureNX2 on an NEF, the file must be saved first(simple Ctrl+S will do the trick quickly!), and then a 'save as' (Ctrl+Shift+S) will save it to a format of your choice.

**note** Ctrl+S and Ctrl+Shift+S are the Windows shortcut version

Same deal applies to using ViewNX2. If you make any edits you must save the NEF(using the floppy disk icon lower right corner).

If you don't save the image as any other format type(ie. save as) both CaptureNX2 and ViewNX2 assume that you don't want to save the edited NEF(ie. to save the edit steps).
If you attempt to close down the NEF file without saving, it will prompt you to do so, or not.

#6 mrdale

mrdale

• Subscriber
  • 23 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 24 December 2012 - 20:15

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll probably just add a marker to the file description and save as NEF. Also appears I could save as different versions as well-ver 1 is original, ver 2 is edited version. I'll see what works for me.

dale
www.flickr.com/photos/photodale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.