13 replies to this topic

#1 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:04

We had minus 10 DegC yesterday and I was quickly set with holding the X-E1's metal body.
Anyone else finding the XF lenscaps a bit fiddly? The problem is more taking it off than putting it on.
Sometimes it just slips and falls to the floor.
I'm thinking of replacing it with some other lenscap. Any good ideas on a type?
Otherwise I love the new camera and sure this is moaning on a very high level.

Click to enlarge:

Attached Images

• DSCF0853-1_web.jpg

Edited by aerobat, 13 December 2012 - 12:07 .

#2 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,634 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:14

This is nice.
I've already had enough of summer and it's only just begun here.

I still haven't found a solution to the Fuji lenscap dilemma either. Meanwhile the brilliant slip-over/clip on to the (fixed) lens hood of the Samyang 8mm fisheye and also my imminent Samyang 14/2.8 rectilinear Nikon F mount lens has the Koreans once again showing the rest of the world how to reinvent the wheel. Every petal-shaped hood should come with such a cap as standard, which would forever end the poking of ones fingers into a lens hood to pinch the lenscap buried down there (and worse when the lenscap if no longer there and the glass receives the fingertips instead). It would also encourage the permanent fitting of a hood, which to date is still the best protection a lens can have, both from extraneous light and clumsy bumps and drops.
  • yunfat likes this

#3 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:20

YES, I have the same problem, though mine is with keeping it on. If I pull the camera out of something, the lens cap is usually not there. I have the same problem with my D800, so maybe its me. On the other hand, the Chinese after market lens hood and cap I bought for the X100 was much more solid and firm. Far superior and well made. Maybe I'll explore another after market solution.
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#4 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,234 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:47

nice shot.

i too hate the fuji lens caps. i simply don't use them unless absolutely necessary - e.g. putting the camera in a bag containing other potentially scratching objects.

with my nikon gear I use so many lenses and change them so often that the caps are mandatory. i'm sticking to one or two lenses per outing in the x-e1 so the cap solution has been to skip them.
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#5 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,968 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 13 December 2012 - 16:21

Why not use chinese lens caps from ebay that look like modern Nikon lens caps, but maybe without the Nikon logo on them. Works well on Zeiss lenses, and Zeiss for all their skill don't know how to design good lens caps.
Bjørn T

#6 RogerB

RogerB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:20

Very nice! Not intended slight your effort, but this could be used to sell some cameras. :-) The colors are warming, the snow almost crunches. The dynamic range is excellent. I'm always surprised by the pop of viewing these images "full sized" over the posting size. This really pops on my monitor.
Best Regards,
Roger

It's still just aperture, shutter-speed and ISO.... right?
D700 | 16-35mm f/4 AFS VR | 24-120mm f/4 AFS VR

#7 Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:05

Great winter landscape capture.

Good to hear it works fine in cold conditions - though I haven't expected it wouldn't. We have similar refreshing weather in Denmark these days...

How about battery in general and in the cold? .. any observations?

Edited by Lars Hansen, 13 December 2012 - 21:06 .

#8 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:30

Thanks for the kind words Roger and Lars. Yes the dynamic range is very good. I didn't operate the camera in the cold for prolonged time but the battery holds a good charge also in winter. The X10 which I had before had too small a battery and needed more battery swapping.

Daniel

#9 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:33

Very nice shot Daniel! Nice to read you like your X-E1 so much.

#10 olivier

olivier

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:50

Very nice indeed, I wonder if I could do this with my D700. You don't help me much resist my temptation to get this camera, I am convinced it is the right tool for my (slow) style.
But I will be strong.

Edited by olivier, 14 December 2012 - 19:50 .

Greetings from France
my blog

#11 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:42

Thanks for your feedback Luc and Olivier. This could sure be done with the D700. I don't know why not.
The advantage of the X-E1 is that you get approx D700 IQ in a smaller and much lighter package. The X-E1 goes in my backpack every day. And yes it's a camera for the slower style. I enjoy operating the high precision mechanics of this gem. Ok enough publicity made...
Luc: Fuji Rumors are talking about an X100 successor with X-Trans sensor.
That's good news as this should hopefully help to have RAW software developpers take their collective fingers out.

Edited by aerobat, 14 December 2012 - 20:51 .

#12 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 20 December 2012 - 15:24

Daniel, am looking forward to seeing how the X200 will be.

If the X200 has an articulating screen and has full RAW support from Adobe, I will do something which I said I will not do for another 8 years ... sell my X100. Then again, maybe I am being harsh ... so I will instead give it to my son. :D

Beautiful light and excellent photo by the way.

Edited by Larry, 20 December 2012 - 15:26 .

#13 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:15

This is nice.
I've already had enough of summer and it's only just begun here.

I still haven't found a solution to the Fuji lenscap dilemma either. Meanwhile the brilliant slip-over/clip on to the (fixed) lens hood of the Samyang 8mm fisheye and also my imminent Samyang 14/2.8 rectilinear Nikon F mount lens has the Koreans once again showing the rest of the world how to reinvent the wheel. Every petal-shaped hood should come with such a cap as standard, which would forever end the poking of ones fingers into a lens hood to pinch the lenscap buried down there (and worse when the lenscap if no longer there and the glass receives the fingertips instead). It would also encourage the permanent fitting of a hood, which to date is still the best protection a lens can have, both from extraneous light and clumsy bumps and drops.

Agreed!

And Nikon should be embarrassed!

I have the DX nikkor 10.5 fisheye and can confirm that the Rokinon fisheye I have is superior in every way, not just the lenscap (which nikon charges $40 for), for less than half the price.

I have supported Nikon over the years, but it's clear they are too stuck in their ways to actually innovate... the lenscap of the 10.5 fisheye is just one such example.

#14 steveh0607

steveh0607

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:55

Lovely picture and yes Fuji lens caps are crummy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.