• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 15:01

For Nikon to figure out that they should abandon the "Nikon1" series altogether and make DX/FX mirrorless cameras alongside and compatible to the DSLR line with proper EVFs and focus peaking will unfortunately take its' time. :-(

They could never compete in this market.  Sony and Olympus have an unassailable lead, lower costs of production, native lenses that rival Nikon's (albeit more expensive).  Nikon missed the boat.

• bjornthun likes this

#42 Lorne

Lorne

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:51

Coincidentally, Jason Odell just posted a 2-part write up of his V1's IR conversion:

http://www.luminesce...ography-part-1/

http://www.luminesce...onversion-type/

• yunfat likes this

Lorne

#43 ericb

ericb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 September 2013 - 17:55

Thanks Bjorn and Bjorn

Kolari Vision has a short article about full spectrum, but it does not fully describe some of the options with mirrorless.  The UV/IR blocking filter is a necessary ingredient for visible photography with a camera converted in this manner.  They have some examples with and with out a filter and proper white balance.

I'm currently using a converted D200 (for nearly 6 years) and a D600 (for about 8 months).  The V1 option would certainly be improved with the ability to zoom in for precise focus, but it appears that the contrast detect focus system of the V1 permits AF without any kind of calibration or adjustment.  While AF is not precise enough for macro, it should be adequate for landscape work at narrower apertures.  

I'm a bit more patient with Nikon on the mirrorless technology.  It is promising on so many fronts.  Sure it's new - and needs work, but the upside is quite significant.  I'll take it as a proof of concept compatible with my other Nikon cameras, software, and lenses.

Edited by ericb, 09 September 2013 - 17:55 .

• yunfat likes this
Eric

#44 renaud

renaud

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:30

On the subject of the V1 autofocus in IR, I can confirm that it works exactly the same as in visible, that is fast and reliable. Manual focus, as has been said before, is another story. The magnified view is very close to useless. Nikon lenses on the FT-1 allow the use of an electronic rangefinder (center point only), although I haven't tested its accuracy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon v1, infra-red, conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users