The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Fly on the window

olympus om-d

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,174 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 16:15

I was up in the mountains with the family last weekend and this huge fly was crawling up the window. So I pointed my OM-D with Panasonic/Leica 45/2.8 Elmarit at it for a while. This was about as good as I got as it was crawling higher and higher up the window.

_DAH0755_web.jpg
  • Joern and slothead like this

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 09 December 2012 - 18:52

Good catch. Did you have a can of Doom handy too?
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,174 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 18:54

Left it in Durban. We need it for the flying cockroaches. ;)

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#4 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:21

A monstrously hairy fly -- and I suspect one that would bite too?!

#5 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,174 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:46

I can't say for sure, Ann. I have some others I took from the underside. Will post them tomorrow as they are on the MacBook Pro, which has been shut down for the night. Maybe one of the entomologists in the community can ID them?

#6 slothead

slothead

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:40

Great image Dallas. How close were you to this monster anyway? I've yet to do any macro with my OMD. Now you've motivated me!

Tom
Cameras: Nikon D800, Nikon P7000, Oly E-P2IR, Oly OM-D E-M5
Lenses: Nikkor 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D,
Nikkor DX 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor Reflex 500mm f/8,
Panasonic 12-45mm, Pana 14-140, Pana 100-300mm, Oly 14-42mm, Oly 45mm f/1.8, Oly 75mm f/1.7, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro, Tamron TC 1.4, Gitzo GT3541L

#7 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 10 December 2012 - 23:59

:) - There's this picture of a dirty great fly, and immediately underneath it:
"Want to come on an African safari with us?"

#8 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,174 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:37

Haha! Good one, Fred, although I can assure you we have less flies than the Aussies (or so I'm told). :)

Tom, I got really close to this thing, probably about 10cm? It was amazing that it didn't fly away. Probably too big to take off!

#9 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39

Guaranteed Australia has more flies, Dallas. They were invented here, after all, so sorry about that, rest of the World! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olympus om-d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.