The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

Epson ABW mode

epson bw

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:44

Has anyone here done comparisons of Epsons ABW mode with regular printing.
Basically doing the whole CC managed stuff but switching the driver to ABW in the end?

cheers
afx

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#2 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:53

To be honest I haven't tried it for many years - the method of changing the tint (using a tiny, Epson-supplied image) was simply not accurate enough. This might be OK to use if one doesn't have Photoshop, but using Photoshop's colour management combined with proper profiling and calibration means you can get the tone of the B&W pretty well spot on with the actual image you're printing on screen, not something that might bear no relation to your own image at all. (N.B. I use an Epson 7800, so that is the interface I'm referring to here, later printers might be different in the handling of ABW).

#3 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:11

Ok, yes, the tint stuff is silly.
I was thinking BW only.

I had read that the AWB mode uses only the BW inks which is supposed to add to the permanence of the image (no yellow) and saves a bit on the color inks.

So far I have not seen a visual difference I must admit. (Feeding the driver BW images using the custom ICC profile for the printer.

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#4 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 701 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:22

That's funny---I have read that Epson's ABW uses several non-black inks.
I've used the ABW warm tone setting a few times because it brings back pleasant memories of the way prints looked on Agfa Portriga-Rapid chlorobromide paper.
Keith B.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: epson, bw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.