#62 Tom Hook

Tom Hook

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 449 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 16 November 2012 - 19:44

Thanks Larry. Everything is proceeding nicely toward a full recovery.

Percocet and Vodka give proof to the old DuPont advertising slogan: "Better living through chemistry"!

Edited by Tom Hook, 16 November 2012 - 19:45 .

#63 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 18:12

Percocet and Vodka give proof to the old DuPont advertising slogan: "Better living through chemistry"!

Just make sure you don't go to sleep with that combo in your body. Respiratory failure during sleep, from mixing Oxycodone and Alcohol, is not unheard of.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#64 Tom Hook

Tom Hook

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 449 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:25

Just make sure you don't go to sleep with that combo in your body. Respiratory failure during sleep, from mixing Oxycodone and Alcohol, is not unheard of.

Bart, thanks for the warning. As Soupy Sales used to say: "I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!" and maybe the tone of my post does not reflect that late, great comedian's advice.

In fact, I never mix the two. Cocktail hour from 5-6: two drinks. Bedtime at midnight: one percocet. And, I will stop the percocet in three more days.

Appreciatively,

Tom

#65 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:50

What would really get my attention is if Nikon makes a much improved FT-2 with multiple AF points support.

Actually, Larry you may get your wish. Nikon Rumours posted a patent for just such an adapter this last week. So Nikon realizes the huge market for the use of their 70 million lenses which, I'm sure many are still in use.

#66 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:07

This is interesting, it applies to all compacts

http://connect.dprev...-pointandshoots

Rags

#67 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:38

What would really get my attention is if Nikon makes a much improved FT-2 with multiple AF points support.

Actually, Larry you may get your wish. Nikon Rumours posted a patent for just such an adapter this last week. So Nikon realizes the huge market for the use of their 70 million lenses which, I'm sure many are still in use.

I am really looking forward to this. :D

#68 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,279 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:16

Today I went to Nikon show room and tried the V2. It was more comfortable to hold than I had imagined, and its EVF image was much smoother than that of GH2. A 24-120/FT1/V2 combo was also on display whose focusing speed (in AF-S mode) was quite fast. It was way faster than DX35G/FT1/J1 combo that I have used, and you won't really be frustrated.

Now I question the necessity of the new proprietary accesory shoe that is just a little smaller than the conventional one. Nikon said there was not enough space for the conventional hot shoe when V1 was released. If Nikon was to design such a "big" V2, the conventional hot shoe could have been preserved. FWIW, Coolpix P7700 has the conventional one (and an articulating LCD!).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#69 AlexV

AlexV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationYokohama

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:43

Regarding the flash, I wish Nikon would at least provide an adaptor, or perhaps a sync cable like the Sc-17 or SC-28--something that allows the user to connect the V1/V2 with their main line of flashes and other accessories. I know that would defeat the "smaller is desirable" approach, and putting a SB-700/900 on the V2 would create an unwieldy little beast, but I there are times when I would prefer such a set up over lugging the D700 around.

#70 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:30

I know that would defeat the "smaller is desirable" approach

It's hard to believe that "smaller" was the main motivator for the special accessory shoe. The obvious reason is a much likelier cause. If Nikon was so concerned with size, why use a NEX-sized lens mount instead of something smaller, so they have at least the option of making a body even smaller? Some here on the forum may not like that, but the C1's USP is small size. But it's not really that unique if the competition makes cameras that are even smaller. I know that in the end it's body+lens that makes it a lot smaller but that's not going to sell at best buy or jessop's.

The V-line has potential—especially with the V1 including two-lens kit selling brand new for $350 now—but it seems that despite coming so late to the market, Nikon has not put a lot of thought in it and is more interested in reaping short term profits (by selling customers equipment that is obsolete with every new generation) than in establishing a new product line. Which is a shame because it's not a bad system and the V2 (despite it's looks) shows that.

Edited by Bart Willems, 26 November 2012 - 12:32 .

Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#71 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,279 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 21 December 2012 - 15:42

Today an interview to a couple of designers of V2 was published on the Impress Watch website:
http://dc.watch.impr...221_579851.html

Again, this is all in Japanese. The interviewer made sure that V2 doesn't use any AA filter, while all V1, J1, and J2 does.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.