#1 TGB

TGB

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationAsker, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 16 September 2012 - 18:49

Norwegian FHM covergirl Fride did a makeup promo shoot for e.l.f. makeup products.

Of course I did other pictures as well, but that is for later ;)

Attached File  DSC_5781-Edit-Edit-3.jpg   398.28KB   24 downloads

#2 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,385 posts
  • Location_

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:55

Nice skin tones, great shot!
Only remark is that the main light was very high up that her pupils are difficult to see from the drop shadow and also the catch lights in the eyes are very small due to the same...

#3 black_bird_blue

black_bird_blue

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 948 posts
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:09

I think the large light area in the lower half of her iris is a lovely effect, though. For me the main thing is to promote the idea that the eyes are wet, liquid-looking. Obviously the highlight is one way to do it but this iris-sculpting is another; I don't think the small catchlight is sooo bad with that in mind...

Damian
"The changing of bodies into light, and light into bodies, is very conformable to the course of Nature, which seems delighted with transmutations." - Sir Isaac Newton

#4 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,156 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:27

Recently two people, not here, gave me a hard time about a portrait where there was not white showing on both sides of the eye. As I look at this portrait I become more convinced there is no such rule. A third photographer said simply that the white area should not look too large or it will look strange.

She looks hot and dreamy.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#5 TGB

TGB

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationAsker, Norway

Posted 17 September 2012 - 17:13

Thank you guys for comments, Ron's impression was the goal (dreamy!) :)

#6 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,759 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 17 September 2012 - 17:21

Technically I think the lighting and skin tones are spot on, but the look on her face doesn't say "dreamy" to me at all. It looks more like she's spotted a pair of shoes in a shop window, which may be a female dream of sorts, but when I see this particular look in my wife's eyes I tend to hold on tight to my wallet and move quickly to the next shop. :)
  • Colin-M likes this

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#7 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationMannheim, Germany

Posted 17 September 2012 - 17:57

her expression makes me uneasy as well ... Dallas interpretation is pretty close to my first impression only that I thought that this is the look _after_ I made sure that my wallet is locked :)

A technically excellent image this is goes without saying ...

Chris
Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

#8 TGB

TGB

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationAsker, Norway

Posted 17 September 2012 - 18:43

Thank you for feedback, appreciate it :)

#9 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,723 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 17 September 2012 - 19:36

I dont fancy the expression myself - but if that is the look you wanted - then it was spot on for you.
definitely NOT dreamy though.
The lights are not too high. You can't tell the lights are too high byjust looking at the catch lights in the eyes.
If you look at the shadow of her nose - it is not even half way between the tip of her nose and her lips - which immediately tells me where the lights were
She has deep set eyes and long (wide) droopy lids
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#10 hillsidekim

hillsidekim

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationHillside, Illinois U.S.A.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:13

I agree with some of the others in that I am not enamored with her expression. To me she almost looks a little pissed at something. Other than her expression, beautiful photography. And beautiful lady and am looking forward to your other photos.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

#11 Jyda

Jyda

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:30

A technically great shot, for sure.

To me, the picture is cropped just low enough to indicate that she's nude which feels a bit distracting if you're supposed to focus on the makeup.
/Johnny

Google+

I care about picture quality, not pixel quality. - Jay Maisel

#12 netr

netr

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:23

Jyda. That impression of nudity without showing anything is, I think, why you keep looking at the photo and what makes it so good.

#13 Jyda

Jyda

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:34

Jyda. That impression of nudity without showing anything is, I think, why you keep looking at the photo and what makes it so good.

Yes, female nudity is of course an attraction...if the ad is directed towards men.

Anyway, I probably know too little about the psychology in advertising. :)
/Johnny

Google+

I care about picture quality, not pixel quality. - Jay Maisel

#14 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 899 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:29

She looks a bit predatory to me. But nice work, anyway.

Edited by JohnBrew, 22 September 2012 - 12:30 .

#15 Carolyn

Carolyn

Seeker

• Life Member
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationUtah, Mexico and California

Posted 14 October 2012 - 23:37

Well, if I saw this ad, it would most certainly make me interested in the make up. And I think John's word *predatory* verges on being spot on... and look at stand out female characters that ARE predatory in nature... I think this is excellent, and definitely got my attention.
The only nit I have, is the area of brightness under and around her left nostril, and again under her left eye, seems a bit too bright.
Well done.
Oh - and she actually looks a bit Elvin... which is a great play along with the name of the cosmetics... E.L.F.
International Member

"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer it has chosen" Minor White

www.carolynguild.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users