The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

How to mount paper prints ?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 14 June 2014 - 17:33

Sorry for the late reply and thanks to everyone for the recommendations - I haven't had much spare time lately so I didn't get any further with this.

Andreas - I tend to print with a small border so I will usually have a margin to cut off, but I might consider larger sizes as you suggest. What weight of paper do you print on when mounting on Kapa fix btw.?

Armando - I can imagine your challenge with lack of table space! I gave up on lab prints due to quality issues and got my own printer and I enjoy the process... and table space is available.

Ann - my prints are purely for private use and longevity is not a big concern. I haven't found any Gatorboard available around here and I hope Kapa fix will do the job OK. I've read about your use of a dry mount press but I'm not prepared to invest in that kind of tools.

Frank - I've looked at Aludibond and to me it looks like I have to print directly on the Aludibond. I prefer to print on various paper surfaces - part of the expression.

Thomas - I usually print on 285 gsm (Hahnemüle Fine Art Pearl) and 310 gsm (Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl). It sounds like you would not recommend using the self adhesive Kapa fix for that kind of paper? Below 200 gsm you say or I should look at the uncoated option and acid free glue.   

Everyone - I don't know this (.. or the price) but stumbled into it when searching for mounting options - looks interesting:  

http://www.crescent-...ver-true/2.html

#42 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,419 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:28

What weight of paper do you print on when mounting on Kapa fix btw.?

Canson Baryta (310gsm) or Museo Textured Rag (285gsm).

Armando - I can imagine your challenge with lack of table space! I gave up on lab prints due to quality issues and got my own printer and I enjoy the process... and table space is available.

I do the cutting and mounting on the floor.

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.