The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo

Favourite papers

paper

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:35

Still, there are a lot of variations and usually a given brand may make more than one type of Baryta paper.

I think only Hahnemühle has more than one, but then I have a feeble memory...
From the comparisons I read so far, they all are variations of the semigloss type and one would need to do a personal comparison to see the exact differences.

After my reading, especially in Luminous Landscape, I came to Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique as the paper I would try first.

Yes, that article was sort of the trigger for me to try it. Plus, an outlet from boesner.com (artist supply) is close to my home and stocks Canson and my experience with Hahnemühle has been mixed so far.

All the reviews say that the Epson 2200 (2100 in Europe) has massive amounts of bronzing when printing on glossy paper.

Hmm, Chris Wahl has a 2200 bought in Germany. And he never complained about bronzing. (His comparison prints made me buy the R3000 and use Museo textured rag for BW)

I've never tried myself - could not find a reason to invest money to prove that it would not work well, as trusted reviewers state.

Most glossies are less than 1GBP per A4 page in a 10 pack. So a few experiments are pretty much affordable.
One of the key reasons that I obtained a pinter was to see the effect of different papers myself. So I try quite a few papers just for kicks.
Right now I am discovering uses for a TECOO metallic paper, which only fits a small number of subjects, but for those where it fits, it is quite pleasing. Definitely more interesting than regular glossy which I rarely use.

I might try the Museo Textured Rag if I can find it at a reasonable price. What other papers could it be said to be similar to?

Hmm, I don''t have a 1.1 comparison. I discovered it through a series of test prints that Chris sent me and its blacks felt deeper than on the Barytas in that series.

The Canson BFK maybe is a bit out of the price range I would consider for most print work, but maybe I could try some small sizes just for the sake of trying and then if it is really so good use it on "special" prints.

This is what I did and was blown away by the colors. Much more vibrant than I was used to from other matte papers.
But yes, it is in a non trivial price range.

The spindles on the R3000 are very small, so you will have to deal with a heavy curl. The main reason why I did not even look for roll paper for my R3000.

I thought that the R3000 could use manual feed from the back to avoid this problem with thick papers?

The manual feed is for cut paper from the front (works very well).
The roll paper curl issue comes from thin diameter of the roll. The rolls for the R3000 are thinner than for the bigger printers.

PS: I forgot to mention when I said that the 2200 is old, that none of the baryta papers have profiles for it. All these papers came out when the 2200 has already been superseded by newer models and the paper manufacturers have not bothered.

Recheck. Basically all of them have profiles for the R2200.
After all, the R2200 was only discontinued within the last year and the Barytas have been out for several years.
In addition, it takes only three A3+ sheets to generate a very good profile with ArgyllCMS and the ColorMunki (the Xrite software is a joke though).

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#42 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationMannheim, Germany

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:31

Hmm, Chris Wahl has a 2200 bought in Germany. And he never complained about bronzing. (His comparison prints made me buy the R3000 and use Museo textured rag for BW)

Correction: I own(ed) a 2880 ... not a 2200 ..
Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

#43 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:33

Correction: I own(ed) a 2880 ... not a 2200 ..

Oops, my feeble mind again.
Why owned? Selling it to make space for the 3880?

cheers
afx
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#44 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:36

PS: I forgot to mention when I said that the 2200 is old, that none of the baryta papers have profiles for it. All these papers came out when the 2200 has already been superseded by newer models and the paper manufacturers have not bothered.

wrong :)

Canson: http://www.canson-in.../icc_choice.asp
Hahnemuehle: http://www.hahnemueh.../223/epson.html

there are ICC profiles available for the Baryta papers ...

cheers,
Chris

#45 Chris Wahl

Chris Wahl

cw

• POTW Committee
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:38

Oops, my feeble mind again.
Why owned? Selling it to make space for the 3880?

cheers
afx

yupp, going to sell it ... it is still sitting on my desk but hopefully not for long ...

#46 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:12

wrong :)

Canson: http://www.canson-in.../icc_choice.asp
Hahnemuehle: http://www.hahnemueh.../223/epson.html

there are ICC profiles available for the Baryta papers ...

cheers,
Chris

I got confused by the R in front of 2200, I thought it was another model. Silly me.
You are right.
I could not check Ilford because the information is not available unless you sign up.

I think only Hahnemühle has more than one, but then I have a feeble memory...
From the comparisons I read so far, they all are variations of the semigloss type and one would need to do a personal comparison to see the exact differences.

The Hahnemuhle baryta papers in their website are classified as glossy.

Yes, that article was sort of the trigger for me to try it. Plus, an outlet from boesner.com (artist supply) is close to my home and stocks Canson and my experience with Hahnemühle has been mixed so far.

Most glossies are less than 1GBP per A4 page in a 10 pack. So a few experiments are pretty much affordable.
One of the key reasons that I obtained a pinter was to see the effect of different papers myself. So I try quite a few papers just for kicks.
Right now I am discovering uses for a TECOO metallic paper, which only fits a small number of subjects, but for those where it fits, it is quite pleasing. Definitely more interesting than regular glossy which I rarely use.

Regarding the bronzing yes the paper cost would have been not much, but there was also the hassle of changing black cartridge and at the time I was using mainly matte paper.
Anyway, bronzing was a problem on the 2200 IIRC and this was sorted in the subsequent models, which may be why Chris did not experience this problem.
I just did a quick Google search and indeed I was right. The bronzing problem was fixed with the K3 inks, which came after the 2200.

Hmm, I don''t have a 1.1 comparison. I discovered it through a series of test prints that Chris sent me and its blacks felt deeper than on the Barytas in that series.

This is what I did and was blown away by the colors. Much more vibrant than I was used to from other matte papers.
But yes, it is in a non trivial price range.

The manual feed is for cut paper from the front (works very well).
The roll paper curl issue comes from thin diameter of the roll. The rolls for the R3000 are thinner than for the bigger printers.

I was thinking of sheet paper, since I have not seen any of these papers in rolls less than 17" wide.
By the way I have some custom roll holders that allow me to use rolls with the bigger core.

Recheck. Basically all of them have profiles for the R2200.
After all, the R2200 was only discontinued within the last year and the Barytas have been out for several years.
In addition, it takes only three A3+ sheets to generate a very good profile with ArgyllCMS and the ColorMunki (the Xrite software is a joke though).

cheers
afx

I did not know that the 2200 was officially discontinued only last year...
Simone

#47 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:18

Anyway, bronzing was a problem on the 2200 IIRC and this was sorted in the subsequent models, which may be why Chris did not experience this problem.

I did not know that the 2200 was officially discontinued only last year...

Yup,
silly me, was thinking the 2880 that Chris has is the 2200 ;-(

cheers
afx

#48 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 18 November 2012 - 22:13

Yup,
silly me, was thinking the 2880 that Chris has is the 2200 ;-(

cheers
afx

Well, I have ordered some new papers... thank you for all the information.
I ordered Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique 310 in A4 and A3+ sizes, a few A4 sheets of BFK (soooo expensive!) from a UK seller and some Moab Lasal Matte and Luster in small sizes paper from a German shop.
That should keep me going fr some time.
Simone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.