#1 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,979 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 08 August 2012 - 19:54

Probably like many folk here I have been watching the olympics and thoroughly enjoyed the camera work, to see it all
in high definition for the first time has been a real treat.
The cameras these BBC guys use for their moving images are huge, was wondering does anyone know
anything about these impressive beasts or where one can glean any information?

Not suggesting the cameras the BBC use are different from anyone else's in this line of work but it would be interesting to obtain
any info.

any relevant links/suggestions much appreciated.

Tony

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#2 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 584 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 08 August 2012 - 21:16

I've been looking at the Steadicam Ultra 2's they use. Rent for £450 a day, base unit price about £25000, configured unit about £40000 :no2:

#3 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,979 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 08 August 2012 - 22:16

I've been looking at the Steadicam Ultra 2's they use. Rent for £450 a day, base unit price about £25000, configured unit about £40000 :no2:

Saw some similar prices for this gear, really clever trick stuff and an engineering marvel!

Makes our dslr's seem like a snip.

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#4 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 708 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:34

The world standard broadcast HD cameras right now, and for about the last 20 years or so going back to SD, utilize three 2/3 inch CCD sensors --one each for RGB--glued to a color-separating prism block. Lenses, finders , and other accessories are interchangeable. The 2/3 inch sensor is about the size of a Super-16 film frame or the sensor in a Nikon 1-Series camera.
Here are two links: the first, a typical Sony studio-style Broadcast HD camera(notice the 86:1 zoom lens); I don't know if the BBC is using Sony cameras, but with the extraordinary number of television cameras in the southern part of Britain right now it's likely that some are Sony. The second link shows a special experimental UHD--Ultra High Definition--camera being used at the olympics.
http://pro.sony.com/...uct-HDC1000RLW/
http://www.bbc.co.uk...-hi-visio.shtml

Edited by pluton, 09 August 2012 - 17:39 .

Keith B.

#5 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,180 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:33

Did you see the Time Slice photography used in conjunction with the gymnastics? I wonder what DSLR's they were using for that?

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#6 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 17 August 2012 - 13:17

Did you see the Time Slice photography used in conjunction with the gymnastics? I wonder what DSLR's they were using for that?

The world standard broadcast HD cameras right now, and for about the last 20 years or so going back to SD, utilize three 2/3 inch CCD sensors --one each for RGB--glued to a color-separating prism block. Lenses, finders , and other accessories are interchangeable. The 2/3 inch sensor is about the size of a Super-16 film frame or the sensor in a Nikon 1-Series camera.
Here are two links: the first, a typical Sony studio-style Broadcast HD camera(notice the 86:1 zoom lens); I don't know if the BBC is using Sony cameras, but with the extraordinary number of television cameras in the southern part of Britain right now it's likely that some are Sony. The second link shows a special experimental UHD--Ultra High Definition--camera being used at the olympics.
http://pro.sony.com/...uct-HDC1000RLW/
http://www.bbc.co.uk...-hi-visio.shtml

Engadget have an article about watching that UHD feed: http://www.engadget....vision-eyes-on/

From what I read, the sound system is at least as impressive.
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#7 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 17 August 2012 - 13:18

Yes, I saw those as well, it was The Matrix style technology, very cool :sungum:
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.