The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Back to the dark age again: Capture NX2 quits working after upgrade

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:00

So, at least in terms of the OS and CNX2, the setup seems to be very similar (64bit Win 7 SP1 with latest patches, CNX2 2.3.2 upgraded from 2.3.1). Still I've had no problem. Unfortunately, there should be conflicts outside of my understanding...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#42 otoien

otoien

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 882 posts
  • LocationFairbanks, Alaska
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:01

Akira, as I do not have a D800, I just for fun downloaded a 1600 ISO studiosample from DP review. It only took a few seconds to intitally load on my S10 (2GB RAM). Changing the size of the display window (Ctrl-0) took a lot longer to fully update, probably 10-15 s. I then applied some changes in contrast and saturation and added shadow protection + one control point. Updating after each of those edits only took a few seconds. Then saved as a new NEF. The latter took 5-10 min to complete with very little disk activity most of the time, except at the very end; resulting file size was 59.1 MB. However then saving again as a full sized JPG good quality only took a couple of seconds, resulting file size 13.2 MB. In other words, it is possible to do some minimal edits on such a modest computer in a pinch, but not something one would want to do on a regular basis, perhaps with the exception of overnight batch processing of a moderate number of files.

Edited by otoien, 13 May 2012 - 21:41 .

Øivind

#43 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:06

Thank you, Øivind, for taking your time to test.

I remember when I tried to open a 24MP RAW file of then new D3X I had downloaded from elsewhere on the then latest version of NC. My 32bit Vista or XP with 2G RAM hung up and I couldn't open the file. The older NC was a nasty memory hog! That's the reason for my question.

Although I'm afraid I won't be likely to go back to the 32bit world, your results should be good food for thoughts.

Edited by Akira, 13 May 2012 - 21:11 .

#44 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:16

So, at least in terms of the OS and CNX2, the setup seems to be very similar (64bit Win 7 SP1 with latest patches, CNX2 2.3.2 upgraded from 2.3.1). Still I've had no problem. Unfortunately, there should be conflicts outside of my understanding...

That's why I entitled this thread "dark age": it's like black magic. But the wizard won't tell his secrets.
Bjørn

#45 AndrewC

AndrewC

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMarlo, East Gippsland, Victoria, Australia.
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:31

No problems at all with NX2 and D800 files.
Nx2 has been consistently stable with no hang ups or speed issues with all the recent updates to both it and Win 7 64 bit.

My machine is not used for anything other than image processing so it has very minimal programs installed.
It is not used on the internet apart from when Windows advises of OS updates.
I receive the Nikon update notifications on it but choose to download any updates to VNX or CNX on another machine and test them there before installing the executable file/s via a memory key onto the image machine.
I do not have any anti virus programs or firewalls installed on the image processing machine.
I see a pattern with the problems people have with NX2 appearing and it does seem to relate to the "need" for the program to call home.

#46 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:41

Apparently the NX2 user community is split into fractions: one having little or no issues and find NX2 2.3.x valuable and speedy, and the other experiencing all sorts of issues with slow performance, hangs, inability to browse folders, etc. Probably the latter group is a minority in the greater scheme of things, but that fact doesn't help those afflicted much. Nikon insisting on hooking NX2 into the .NET paradigm means all sorts of garbage software and bloated drivers are dumped onto the end user's computer. Cannot but cause problems which is what we see in real life.

I even opened up the standard SSL ports on my external firewall since there were veiled allusions to SSL communication in the README file, but to no avail.
Bjørn

#47 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:46

I had 2.3.1 already up and running (slow, but functional) and installed 2.3.2 with the same language. So cannot see I disobeyed any of Nikon's regulations.

I'm just curious why you upgraded. My 2.3.1 reads D800 NEFs fine.

Bjørn J

#48 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:47

I already stated the reason: D3200.
Bjørn

#49 RC51

RC51

LARGE MEMBER

• Life Member
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:49

Bjørn,
When updating NX2 after my serial number has been accepted and the new version is installed..... I delete Message Centre and disable call back.

This helps avoid conflicts on my system..... I have no problems with Capture NX2 on Windows 7 and XP, but sometime experience issues with View NX2

Cheers
Bez

#50 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:51

I have removed Message Center several times but the updates put it right back. Perhaps I'll do another round to eradicate the darned piece of crap.
Bjørn

#51 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:06

I leave Message Center installed and have even upgraded it every time Nikon released the latest patches. Again, no problem or whatsoever.

Edited by Akira, 13 May 2012 - 22:07 .

#52 RC51

RC51

LARGE MEMBER

• Life Member
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:13

I have removed Message Center several times but the updates put it right back. Perhaps I'll do another round to eradicate the darned piece of crap.

Yes I know it puts it back but I just remove it again..... Then disable call back.

Cheers
Bez

#53 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:26

this is not a rhetorical question - why do people even bother with nikon software? what can it do that ACR, either connected to photoshop, lightroom, or one of the cheaper cousins, can't?

I have used all manner of converters and ACR is the very worst of them, whilst NX2 easily produces the very best images to my eye. The Nikon Picture Controls work for me and are contained within the NEF file, not stored in seperate files.

When you import nef's into Lightroom watch what happens when you click on the initial preview that is imported. They look great and then a second later ACR strips them of the Picture Control, putting its own interpretation in place, which to my eye looks awful. Getting it back to something even remotely close to the Picture Control requires a level of expertise in ACR that I am not bothered to aspire to.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#54 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:13

I have used all manner of converters and ACR is the very worst of them, whilst NX2 easily produces the very best images to my eye. The Nikon Picture Controls work for me and are contained within the NEF file, not stored in seperate files.

When you import nef's into Lightroom watch what happens when you click on the initial preview that is imported. They look great and then a second later ACR strips them of the Picture Control, putting its own interpretation in place, which to my eye looks awful. Getting it back to something even remotely close to the Picture Control requires a level of expertise in ACR that I am not bothered to aspire to.

(Cue Ann....). ;)
  • cjp likes this

#55 AndrewC

AndrewC

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:18

what can it do that ACR, either connected to photoshop, lightroom, or one of the cheaper cousins, can't?

It has the ability to leave your wallet intact for a very long time as well.
Haven't had to pay for an upgrade since they started they changed Capture NX to Capture NX2, unlike some brands.

And Fred, are you being a little cynical by any chance?

#56 GoteBill

GoteBill

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:23

Bjørn, I wonder if this isn't just a licensing issue. Can you uninstall NX2 from all of your network computers and then install and run it on a computer not connected to the Internet with your valid serial number?

If all else fails, I believe I could loan you a several-years-old MacBook Pro computer that I am currently not using. I think I would just have to uninstall NX2 from one of my two in-use Macs so that NX2 could be activated on the old Mac. I seem to recall that you are not a fan of the Mac OS, but maybe you could stand to use it temporarily?

/Bill

/Bill

#57 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:37

Thanks for your kind offer. I'll await a response from Nikon Support. The license is highly official as I got the software - in an unopened box - courtesy Nikon Nordic :rolleyes: . If I uninstall I have to follow the prescribed sequence starting with 2.2.4 and going all the way up to 2.3.2 again, which is simply too much to do for a number of networked machines.

I might try to install NX2 in a fresh virtual machine though, so I can have complete control of its (wrong)doings.

This situation is just plain stupid. Quality software isn't supposed to act up like this.
Bjørn

#58 AndrewC

AndrewC

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:57

This situation is just plain stupid. Quality software isn't supposed to act up like this.

That sums it up perfectly to me.
It seems that those who install the software and then let the manufacturer control how it is used on the computer and the 'net don't have many or any problems yet those who choose to let conventional computer and internet security wisdom prevail run into stumbling blocks.

Nikon make very good cameras, they make "good" software that only works "their" way.

Stupidity is the compelling description of the situation.

#59 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:08

Nikon Support had no better suggestion than uninstall completely, run RegSweeper to remove any vestiges of information clinging in the nooks and crannies of the Registry, then install 2.3.0 to allow an upgrade to 2.3.2.

If this isn't allowed or feasible with my valid license key I'm out looking for somebody to pay for the inconvenience . Aaargh.
Bjørn

#60 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:35

Issue solved.

Turns out there is a behind-the-curtains clash between NX2, Messenger Center, Picture Control Utility, local antivirus (Symantec Corporate Endpoint), local firewall (Zonelabs), and my external hardware firewall. A true cybernetic cocktail of programmatic miseries. I spent the better part of an hour fine-tuning access rights and opening ports here and there.

Now, NX 2.3.2 works as it should from the onset. What a waste of my time.
Bjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.