16 replies to this topic

#1 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 21:24

Hi.
Thought I'd share my updated handheld UV kit. This has changed since the last time as I've found an autofocus lens (Sony 30mm f2.8 DT SAM - 6e/5g) which transmits deeper into UV than the previous lens (Sony E mount 30mm f3.5 macro - 7e/6g). This is mounted on the LA-EA1 adapter to allow autofocus with alpha mount lenses (although at present it does not as the firmware needs to be updated).

The mount has changed as well, comprising an L-bracket with the Sony Nex-5N mounted onto the longer part of this bracket and the Vivitar 285 flash mounted on the shorter segment. The handle is actually a Manfrotto 155 video hand grip, with a bike torch holder at the end of it to hold my Nichia-chip UV torch. The torch allows for good lighting for autofocus UV. Interestingly the alpha lens remains wide-open until the photo is taken which allows for a very bright image to be visible on the liveview screen at all times, which aids autofocusing.

Front view
Posted Image

Another front view - different angle
Posted Image

Back view
Posted Image

Top view
Posted Image

The rig is held by the Manfrotto handle as you would a video camera, so is rather easy to carry around. No PVC tape to keep things mounted.

When my new bracket arrives, I will try and mount with 2 Vivitar flashes (one on each side) for more even lighting.

BT

#2 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 21:28

Some images taken with this rig.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the Sony cover with a Hoya UV filter.
Posted Image

Boon

#3 kds315

kds315

uvir.eu

• Life Member
  • 6,556 posts
  • LocationWeinheim, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 21:51

What a cute contraption that is!! Too bad the lens passes little UV obviously, as you only get this long wave UV which appears blue and some light yellow.

Edited by kds315, 11 May 2012 - 21:52 .

Klaus

"Seize the day"

www.uvir.eu

#4 Guest_infraultra_*

Guest_infraultra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 21:52

Very nice kit, Boon, and the photos are excellent!

#5 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 22:07

This is to allow for quick UV handheld photography. It does transmit down to 340nm (albeit very little), so it does much better than some other lenses which have made it onto our UV stickies. And it can autofocus and a macro lens which can do 1:1. That's got to be worth something.
Boon

#6 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,385 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 11 May 2012 - 22:17

Results are what count. In that respect you have succeeded. True, a better lens (ie with transmission deeper into UV) or a more powerful flash would improve the outcome - to some extent. However, you now can easily document UV patterns.
Bjørn

#7 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 22:26

Thanks guys. I'll need to see how easy it is to use the UV-Zeiss Jena 60/4 with this rig, to improve the results. With this rig, autofocus was actually not really needed as it was easy to adjust forwards and backwards to get the focus right and then shoot.
Boon

#8 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,385 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 11 May 2012 - 22:36

If you're lucky enough to have a quality UV lens like the Zeiss 60, by all means use it. (I use the Coastal 60/4 on my GH-2 all the time. A perfect combination for handheld UV captures with flash). Andrea brought the UV Zeiss on our recent Desert trip and captured excellent UV images with it. From what I saw it's worth the money.

On a personal note, I would like a better way of focusing than using the rear monitor - my eyes cannot standing use such contraptions. Even an EVF is way better. Hopefully the Sony has an EVF add-on?
Bjørn

#9 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 23:07

I actually sold off my EVF to my friend as the Nex-5N only has one accessory port. Since I'm using the Nex-5N mainly for UV and intend to use the flash attachment to trigger external flash, I would not be able to use the EVF at the same time. But the liveview on Nex-5N is excellent with focus peaking to allow for checking focus, and with this rig it is easier to hold it lower to shoot; also with autofocus there is no need to check focus as long as the focus point is on where I want it.

The only Nex camera which has both a hotshoe and built-in EVF is the Nex-7, which I won't mod unless a full-frame Nex camera is released.

Just tried with the UV-Zeiss Jena and focus confirmation is not as easy with the Sony 30mm macro lens, as I adjust focus at f16 with the UV-Zeiss; the Sony lens will stop down at point of shooting, so focus confirmation is done at f2.8..

Boon

#10 Alex H

Alex H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:59

This is nicely looking rig and great results, Boon. Great work!

Did You already order the NEX hotshoe adapter or not? To connect the flash directly to the camera?

On a personal note - I find it difficult to use NEX-5N handheld mainly because of the absence of the viewfinder. It might be the only reason I still have a DSLR for infrared use. But on the tripod for me it is a totally different thing.

#11 kds315

kds315

uvir.eu

• Life Member
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:02

If you're lucky enough to have a quality UV lens like the Zeiss 60, by all means use it. (I use the Coastal 60/4 on my GH-2 all the time. A perfect combination for handheld UV captures with flash). Andrea brought the UV Zeiss on our recent Desert trip and captured excellent UV images with it. From what I saw it's worth the money.

Boon is using the Zeiss Jena 4/60mm UV-Objektiv whereas Andrea has the Zeiss UV-Planar 4/60mm (she has from me) - two very different lenses, as the latter has no focus shift and was made for the the UV reproduction of finest microstructures, but the former is not corrected for focus shift. Both however transmit to about 300nm.

Edited by kds315, 12 May 2012 - 08:06 .

Klaus

"Seize the day"

www.uvir.eu

#12 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:09

Yes Alex, I've ordered the Nex Shadow hotshoe adapter, which hopefully will be sent out next week. I'm more interested in UV than IR, as it requires more effort, time and toys to experiment with.

I don't think the local garden centre will take it well if I go in and mount a tripod to shoot photos of their flower. This rig should allow me to have a small but effective means to analyse the UV pattern and decide which is worth bringing home. But having said that, the ultimate would be to have a setup using the Zeiss 60, my Quantum flash (either the T5DR or the even stronger X2), which isn't exactly very portable.

What I did notice is that the Sony E mount lenses do stop down in real time which can make autofocus rather difficult (partly because they let less UV light through), whereas the alpha mount lenses only stop down when you shoot, which makes the images really bright (f2.8) and easier for autofocus or even manual focusing. With handheld, it would be difficult to focus with the Zeiss 60 wide open and then stop down as the plane of focus may have shifted from the movement, hence focusing fully stopped down; but I have to say that the Nichia torch lights it very well so even at f16 the images on the liveview are still very bright.

Boon

#13 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:26

Just an update. The Sony LA-EA1 adapter firmware has been updated to version 2 which allows for autofocus. Unfortunately the focusing with Sony alpha mount lenses is rather slow as they were designed for phase detection autofocusing. So I've decided it is easier and quicker for me to fix the focus distance on the lens and adjust forwards and backwards until the area which I am interested in has the focus peaking lighting up, and then depress the shutter button. The E-mount Sony lenses definitely focus much faster, but sadly do not transmit very deep into UV.
Boon

#14 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 20:48

I took my UV handheld kit to try and shoot some UV images while my car was being serviced. As I forgot to bring along the Flash triggering device, I ended up having to shoot handheld using ambient sunlight. I used the UV-Zeiss Jena 60/4 to take these images. But I still needed to use the multi-frame mode to stack a few shots together to prevent 'shake'.

I wish I had the Olympus OM-D with its image stabiliser.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's one for the road.
Posted Image

Boon

#15 Guest_infraultra_*

Guest_infraultra_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2012 - 00:44

Oooooooo! Cool UV car shot, Boon!

#16 kds315

kds315

uvir.eu

• Life Member
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:51

Theae look good to me Boon!
Klaus

"Seize the day"

www.uvir.eu

#17 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:11

Thanks guys. I was very disappointed to have forgotten the piece of equipment which would have allowed UV flash photography. But at least that car looked nice; it is a good way to see if the car has been 'touched up' for sale - this car looked fine.
Boon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users