The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Which laptop?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 21 April 2012 - 15:12

I do not have a laptop, but I have been thinking buying one. But which one, that's the question.

It will not be my main photo editing computer (I have good Win7 desktop with 24" IPS for that), but it should have proper display for photo viewing and occasional editing.
It should also be small and light so 13" display is maximum. Processing power is not essential issue, as almost all current models seem to be powerful enough for this kind of use.

I spent time in local computer store playing with MacBook Air 11" and 13" models (mainly looking photographs), but I do not like the display - details on the blacks are not visible. Also the display is somewhat too glossy. Moreover, I really would like to stick with Windows.

So, any recommendations for small Windows laptop with good display?

#2 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 21 April 2012 - 15:36

The default profile of the MacBook Air or Mac's in general is way too contrasty, it makes the pictures pop but it's useless for those whom prefer to edit their pics.

After calibrating the screen it improved quit a bit, actually the MBA 13" is my only computer so it's used for all my processing.

If you like the MBA format but not the Mac side of them then look for the newest batch of Ultra Books, Intel's attempt to push other manufacturers to come up with MBA knockoffs. Asus and Samsung come to mind but I'm not up to speed on anything not Apple :biggrin:

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#3 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs

Posted 21 April 2012 - 15:43

I am also in the market for a laptop with somewhat similar specs (i.e. light and up to 13'' screen) but also with specs geared more towards proffessional software development. I have had over the years experience with IBM Thinkpads (before the Lenovo acquisition), Dell XPS , Compaq and Asus Gaming laptops. I am strongly leaning towards purchasing a Thinkpad for its unparralel build quality and stability. It appears to me that Lenovo has not sacrificed anything on that front as I recently observed with somebody else's Thinkpad.
As far as screen quality is concerned the current laptop we have that my wife mostly uses which is a Dell studio XPS, has also a great screen (glossy type) with good contrast and blacks.

Edited by makmanos, 21 April 2012 - 19:57 .

-Manos

#4 peroo

peroo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 21 April 2012 - 16:20

If you are looking for a MacBook have in mind that a new 15" model is rumored to appear during the next month. (with new intel cpu, high res screen and thinner)

But rumors are rumors ;)

#5 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 21 April 2012 - 17:01

I would go for ThinkPad, too. ThinkPad X220/220i would be good candidates.

Edited by Akira, 21 April 2012 - 17:01 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#6 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 21 April 2012 - 17:20

I'll look at X220. I have had several Thinkpad's at work (when they were IBM) and they surely had good build and keyboard.
But, key issue for me now is the display.

#7 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 21 April 2012 - 19:43

To reinforce the other comments, my company has just rolled out >1,000 Lenovos to a customer who was very picky about quality and cost. These replaced their existing Dell machines used mainly for office-type apps). Sorry, I can't vouch for the screen's photo capabilities, though these machines are used both in the office and out on the road.

In the meantime, it probably doesn't tick all your boxes but I don't regret abandoning either of my 2 HP laptops in favour of an IPad!
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#8 PJNanook

PJNanook

• Life Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 April 2012 - 20:15

I really like traveling with a MacBook Air. Just wish it had a Firewire port for my CF reader. Do all my work on a MacBook Pro with a matte screen. I have calibrated the screen as well. (somewhat as don't own a calibration device right now) Also run Window 7 via Parallels for accounting software.

Kevin

#9 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,418 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:54

Currently using a Thinkpad x120e for travel and couch surfing. Gamut is a bit tight on that itty bitty box,
the X220 in contrast should work better due to an IPS panel, so if the price is ok for you and you are already use to the Thinkpad quality, it is a logical choice.
Of course, not a glossy screen!

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#10 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:42

Sadly most laptops (particularly windows laptops) have lousy displays. It's incredible that you can buy a 9.7" tablet like the iPad with an amazing display and a 2048x1536px resolution but practically all laptops, even 15", comes with lousy displays and a resolution of 1366x768 :angry:

Jan Anne is right, you should probably take a look at the "Ultrabooks" but it would be a good idea to wait a bit since Intel is just now launching a new generation of processors:
http://www.theverge....ng-announcement

So you can expect to see a lot of new laptops become available :)
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#11 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 23 April 2012 - 17:58

My 17" Macbook pro does a fine job of most things, has 8GB ram, and a screen resolution of 1920x1200
I calibrate it regularly and it's pretty accurate. :)
Has also proved perfectly reliable with no problems, (touches wood) :biggrin:

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#12 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:54

i have used just about every generation of thinkpad for the last 10 years or so, currently an x220t, but when i buy machines for myself, i avoid them. i find the displays either poor, inconsistent, or both. i've had the displays on these things gradually drift towards super low contrast greyed out images over a period of 3-4 hours of working perhaps 20 times with the last four models i've had. it happens so gradually that for the first little bit, you just keep tweaking the images to try and make them look right. eventually you realize that it's messed up, have to trash the last couple hours of editing, shut the machine down and then turn it back on.

they are business machines imo, not a great choice for photo work and no longer nearly as rock-solid as they used to be.

Currently using a Thinkpad x120e for travel and couch surfing. Gamut is a bit tight on that itty bitty box,
the X220 in contrast should work better due to an IPS panel, so if the price is ok for you and you are already use to the Thinkpad quality, it is a logical choice.
Of course, not a glossy screen!

cheers
afx

http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.