The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Decided to start experimenting with Flashlights - where to start??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pkol

pkol

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 20 April 2012 - 22:03

Hi,

I never used a flashlight before (apart from the D700 onboard flash) and would like to start experimenting with it. So I'm decided to get a flashlight. Because I'm a total novice in the field I would like to hear your advice on which flash to buy.

I'm thinking either SB 910 or SB 700, but then again I don't know much about the subject. Maybe there are better non-Nikon options.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Paulo Kol

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin

#2 Bjørn J

Bjørn J

Happy user of Nikon photographic tools

• Life Member
  • 729 posts
  • LocationNorth Norway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 20 April 2012 - 22:15

I can highly recommend the SB700. It is lighter and much smaller than the 910, and the flash output is 1 stop less.
I have both the SB900 and the 700, and I almost always use the 700.
And I do not believe there are better non-Nikon options :)

Bjørn J

#3 pkol

pkol

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 20 April 2012 - 22:29

Thanks Bjorn
Paulo Kol

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin

#4 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:27

The SB 910 is huge, but a larger and a little nicer light, compared to a SB 700.
I sell use the SB 800 types, It has a completely different menu to SB 00 and SB 910
SB 800 doesn't have the 'security' to turn off the flash before it overheats, a much hated feature of the SB 900 and SB 910

#5 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:48

My recommendation: http://www.fotozones...ait-photography

#6 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL USA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 17:35

If you are a complete novice to flash photography I would recommend you check out strobist.com before even buying anything. You will find some gear recommendations in the lighting 101 section that you might find useful. If you must have a Nikon flash, I would recommend getting your hands on a used SB600 if you can find one otherwise the SB700 is a fantastic flash to start out with also.

I would just not spend loads of money on a flash before you know what to do with it.
Flavio Martins
My Website | My Blog | Flickr | Google+ | facebook
D300s, D70s Nikkor 18-70 , 50 f1.8 , Sigma 70-200 f2.8, SB800, Vivitar 285HV, Lumopro 120 & 160
Follow me on Twitter: @fxmphoto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.