The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Chipping a nikkor - experience with Dandelion CPU

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 nimix

nimix

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 218 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 March 2012 - 15:11

Hello,

I know for at least 10 years that manual Nikkors can be chipped to allow metering on the entry level DSLRs.
Somehow it was burned to my brain, that one must disassemble half the lens, file, millcut, bend aperture lever, glue... so I stayed away.

Now I came across the Dandelion Chip on the German website nikonclassics.de
There is a list of Nikkors that can be chipped with the Dandelion chip by just glueing the chip to the lens mount without the need for futher mechanical treatment:

An folgenden AIS-Nikkoren ist eine Montage der Dandelion-CPU durch einfaches Aufkleben möglich:
15/3,5
18/3,5
20/2,8
24/2,0
24/2,8
28/2,0
28/2,8
28/3,5
35/2,0
35/2,8
50/1,8 Pancake, # 2050340-2255988
55/2,8 Micro
85/2,0
28/2,8 Series E (mit silbernem Ring)
50/1,8 Series E (ohne silbernen Ring)
100/2,8 Series E (ohne silbernen Ring)
25-50/4,0 Zoom
35-70/3,5 Zoom
35-70/3,3-4,5 Zoom
35-105/3,5-4,5 Zoom
36-72/3,5 Series E Zoom

Three of my lenses - 2.8/24mm, 2/28mm, 2/35mm - are on the list. This sounds promissing on the first glance, but then I got doubts:
If I glue that plastic piece to my lens mount it might fall off. When it falls right in the middle of my mirror box while shooting with 5 fps, what will happen with my mirror, shutter and focusing screen?

So my question is:
- Does anybody have experience with chipping a Nikkor with the Dandelion Chip?
- Nikonclassics.de recommends "cyanoacrylat glue". Is this the best glue for this job? What about epoxy glue? Somehow I trust epoxy a little more.
- Did anybody hear of a Dandelion chip falling off and damage the camera?

Thanks in advance.
nimix

Edited by nimix, 13 March 2012 - 15:12 .

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 13 March 2012 - 15:29

To your last question: yes, they do fall of, and potentially can harm the camera. Lenses in which there is solid metal supporting the back of the chip appear to be the best candidates.

The quality of the Dandelions seen by me has been poor. I ordered a lot of which 100% were DOA. Might be unlucky, though, but wasn't tempted to do these again.
Bjørn

#3 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 March 2012 - 18:11

Bjørn any chance of a new batch of CPU's ?

#4 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 13 March 2012 - 23:25

I'll have to assess the potential of such a project when I return from the US in a week's time.
Bjørn

#5 nimix

nimix

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 218 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:10

Thanks Bjørn, so I'll better do not test the Dandelion chip.
I have only 8 AI / AIS Nikkors, so I can keep them in the memory of my D300 / D700, although it's annoying to switch lens settings when changing the lens.

#6 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:51

Thanks!

#7 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:24

Started chipping a large batch of Ais lenses; the Damdelion CPU's now come with a very nice molded jig that can hold the CPU in correct position according to the lockpin hole. Works great!

#8 Chris Dees

Chris Dees

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 30 March 2012 - 20:33

Great to hear as I happen to know the owner of that batch. :angel:

Edited by Chris Dees, 30 March 2012 - 20:34 .

Too much glass to carry.

#9 Nikea

Nikea

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 159 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 21:18

Does this mean, that you are now using Dandelions instead of custom made chips? Why?

Started chipping a large batch of Ais lenses; the Damdelion CPU's now come with a very nice molded jig that can hold the CPU in correct position according to the lockpin hole. Works great!

Kim

#10 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 30 March 2012 - 22:06

They are a cheap alternative, and more easy to install in most lenses

#11 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 30 March 2012 - 22:12

Also, Bjørn is out of CPU's for sale

Edited by Erik Lund, 31 March 2012 - 08:40 .

#12 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:02

Thanks Bjørn, so I'll better do not test the Dandelion chip.
I have only 8 AI / AIS Nikkors, so I can keep them in the memory of my D300 / D700, although it's annoying to switch lens settings when changing the lens.

I've installed dandelions on five lenses, all Ais. The 24 f2, 35 f2, 135 f2, 50-135 3.5, and the 75 -150 zooms. The only one I have had problems with is the 24 f2 which I realize now, I should have cut the chip into the lens dust shroud. The 35 f2 was easy, it was a simple glue on. When you glue these on they are glued from the side of the chip and the bottom , so they tend to be pretty durable being epoxied from two points of contact. However when you have to cut the dust shroud and fit them that way it's wedged in between the shoulders of the lens shroud, which make them quite durable. Although, it depends on how rough you are with your equipment. For most of us non-pros that aren't in a rush, it should be just fine. The big advantage is now you have third stop increments, and your lens communicates with your flash.
On the zooms though you have to program the lowest focal length. At 29 dollars each, they are a no brainer. Enjoy. Regards, Gerry

#13 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:48

...However when you have to cut the dust shroud and fit them that way it's wedged in between the shoulders of the lens shroud....

Just a small correction :)

It's called a 'light baffle'
Some lenses are even 'flocked' with matt black cloth since it hinders light in being reflected of the inside of the lens before it enters the camera.

#14 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 797 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:44

Any chance of photographing representative samples from the large batch of AIS lenses once they have had their Dandelion chips installed?

As with nfoto's solution set, not all lenses are likely to be converted identically even with the Dandelion chips.

#15 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 31 March 2012 - 13:10

Any chance of photographing representative samples from the large batch of AIS lenses once they have had their Dandelion chips installed?

As with nfoto's solution set, not all lenses are likely to be converted identically even with the Dandelion chips.

Thats up to Chris :)

Actually I think all lenses can be chipped with the Dandelions except 58 1.2

#16 Nikea

Nikea

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 159 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 31 March 2012 - 13:49

I have a Dandelion chip and a 35-105 f. 3.5-4.5 (which you, Erik, recently serviced). According to the German list, the Dandelion can be mounted on this lens without any surgery. Therefore it seems to be within my DYI competences.

What kind of glue would you recommend?

Edited by Nikea, 31 March 2012 - 14:30 .

Kim

#17 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 797 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 14:37

Erik, I have successfully chipped several of my lenses with Bjørn's chips. I have also recently acquired a few Dandelions from Ebay seller Tagotech in Singapore for chipping items such as bellows, extension rings, and the odd lens that I only use occasionally.

In measuring the outer diameter of tube formed by the Nikon F lens mount I have found a typical figure for the diameter to be 43.4mm (ignoring the bayonet claws of course). The pins appear to be at the correct level if the bottom of the Dandelion chip is about 3.8mm below the outer diameter of the tube formed by the lens mount.

In the instance where the bottom of the Dandelion chip is to be seated onto a step on the rear stray light baffle, I have figured that the diameter of such a step needs to be reduced (or built up) to the equivalent of an effective diameter of 35.8mm.

Is this height setting for the Dandelion consistent with your experience?

(The pins on the Dandelion do seem to have plenty of travel, but it is of course desirable to make sure that they are neither too high nor too low.)

Thanks in advance.

#18 Chris Dees

Chris Dees

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:26

No problemen, but it will take a fee weeks before I can.
Too much glass to carry.

#19 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 31 March 2012 - 16:08

Erik, I have successfully chipped several of my lenses with Bjørn's chips. I have also recently acquired a few Dandelions from Ebay seller Tagotech in Singapore for chipping items such as bellows, extension rings, and the odd lens that I only use occasionally.

In measuring the outer diameter of tube formed by the Nikon F lens mount I have found a typical figure for the diameter to be 43.4mm (ignoring the bayonet claws of course). The pins appear to be at the correct level if the bottom of the Dandelion chip is about 3.8mm below the outer diameter of the tube formed by the lens mount.

In the instance where the bottom of the Dandelion chip is to be seated onto a step on the rear stray light baffle, I have figured that the diameter of such a step needs to be reduced (or built up) to the equivalent of an effective diameter of 35.8mm.

Is this height setting for the Dandelion consistent with your experience?

(The pins on the Dandelion do seem to have plenty of travel, but it is of course desirable to make sure that they are neither too high nor too low.)

Thanks in advance.

Yes those measurements are correct

#20 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 31 March 2012 - 16:09

No problemen, but it will take a fee weeks before I can.

I could shoot some product shots... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.