The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon's next FF camera - some indications

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 18:05

At this point we might well prepare for a very long hiatus in Nikon Professional production. From all reports manufacturing in Thailand is down. Reports concerning flooding at Sony reveal a NEX 7 delay, which means a 24mpix Nikon cannot be announced until late next year (read D400), since I believe Sony won't let Nikon have that chip until it can saturate the market with NEX-7.

Furthermore, production in Japan of D4/D800 may also be hampered, since production of parts of that supply chain also come from Thailand, which ones and what percentage I don't know, but I know that RAM and other silicon are sourced there.

Japanese are resilient, but this one two punch has put to my mind, no conceivable pro body until next year, with actual D800 or D4 supply constrained into 2013.

Not a surprise, but sobering given the current conditions.

#42 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 20:11

Latest word from NR quoting a report indicates Nikon and Sony Factory in Thailand as "No prospect for recovery". It is indeed not looking good for Nikon especially if this part of the report is true:

"“Electronic manufacturers also are heavily dependent onproduction in Thailand. Nikon Corp.’s Thailand plant produces low- to mid-rangesingle-lens reflex cameras, which account for 90 percent of the company’s SLRcamera production."

I just hope that they had enough time to evacuate the most important tools they have before the flood reached the factory as it did have some advance notice of the approaching flood.

Edited by Larry, 19 October 2011 - 20:18 .

#43 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,274 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 19 October 2011 - 23:05

I would believe that the image sensors are manufactured in Japan. Thailand factories are for the body assembling. I'm not sure if any FX bodies are made in Thailand (are they?).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#44 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 20 October 2011 - 15:18

I would believe that the image sensors are manufactured in Japan. Thailand factories are for the body assembling. I'm not sure if any FX bodies are made in Thailand (are they?).

FX bodies are assembled in Japan but may need some components from Thailand. Given the unparalleled disruption in Thailand, I would not be surprised if FX assembly may also be impacted.

#45 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 20 October 2011 - 15:28

FX cameras are assembled at the Nikon Sendai plant in northern Japan, a city which was badly impacted by the tsunami and earthquake.
Bjørn

#46 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 20 October 2011 - 17:47

Take care of, but USE (!), the camera you already own because replacements for the Pro-level cameras could be a long time a-coming.

This double-whammy must be devastating for all the people (and their families) who are part of the Nikon corporation.

#47 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 20 October 2011 - 19:51

Agreed. Carpe diem et camera. The euro is about to take a dip and we will soon get D700 for the price of the current D3X. And it is a long time the dollar is worth nothing, some day people will notice :devil:

#48 Guest_infraultra_*

Guest_infraultra_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 00:32

Airy, That looks like a kiln in your profile picture...
Do you also do ceramics?

#49 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 21 October 2011 - 18:38

Huh ? it is a restaurant. Unfortunately, I do not do ceramics.

#50 TGB

TGB

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationAsker, Norway

Posted 26 October 2011 - 21:24

FX cameras are assembled at the Nikon Sendai plant in northern Japan, a city which was badly impacted by the tsunami and earthquake.

Not completely true; D700 can be found in 2 versions; one (first batches) from Japan; and the rest from Thailand. Last time I checked, the D700 is a FX camera :)

Edit:
The two versions are equal in picture quality and parts; but I've testet 2 of each; the Thailand edition doesn't feel exactly the same (hard to explain; the same with both sets). I could actually tell without looking under the camera, and just by using, the origin of each individual camera.

Edit2:
I actually didn't know they produced D700 i Thailand, but they felt different, and the common denominator was the country they were assembled.

Edited by TGB, 26 October 2011 - 21:43 .

#51 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 October 2011 - 21:57

You statements do not invalidate my comment. FX production is in Sendai. When I visited the plant (2007) they ran all their D3 production there. This does not exclude production of other models elsewhere.
Bjørn

#52 TGB

TGB

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationAsker, Norway

Posted 26 October 2011 - 22:00

You statements do not invalidate my comment. FX production is in Sendai. When I visited the plant (2007) they ran all their D3 production there. This does not exclude production of other models elsewhere.

Then I interpreted your comment the wrong way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.