Cheetah yawns and wakes up

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=40921

Cheetah notices a nearby herd of Impala

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=40923

Cheetah sets off in pursuit

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=40925

The Impala see him coming and flee

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=40927

Although he reached a speed of nearly 60 mph he failed to catch a single Impala and after all that effort an exhausted, panting and hungry Cheetah looks disconsolately in the direction of his departing dinner

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=40929

---------
These were taken after sunset with the light fading fast so thank heavens for very high ISO!

#2 waltonksm

waltonksm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 195 posts
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:36

Nice sequence....and great light.  I wondered why no shadows until you said it was after sunset.  Still nice and sharp.  What ISO?  Makes me envious of your experience.

#3 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:48

Thank you Walton.

Yes the ISO was right up there: ISO 102,400 on the running cheetah and the last one was shot hand-held at 1/60 and f/2.8 at ISO 25,600!

#4 waltonksm

waltonksm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:10

I have read the reviews....and seen some examples, but had no idea that the results were this good.  And I have been thinking how great the D700 was at 6400!  This is really unbelievable.

#5 PBCS

PBCS

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:34

Ann, These are wonderful. I especially like the Impala. You should be working for National Geographic my friend.

#6 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 13 January 2011 - 22:35

I am so glad that you enjoyed the Cheetah Chase pictures Linda. As for working for National Geographic how I would love to do that!

Next on my list of course is Florida and the Bird Shoot I can't wait to be down there with you in your warm Floridian sunshine!

:) :)

#7 PBCS

PBCS

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 January 2011 - 13:00

So looking forward to you coming Ann! And to seeing everyone at the Birding Event. Such a nice group!

#8 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 14 January 2011 - 14:36

Heck - Ann should be working for Nikon. Her shots make me want a D3S, way more than anything from Nikon.

Great shots Ann - that last one especially - even more amazing when you tell us what ISO they are at!
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#9 PBCS

PBCS

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 January 2011 - 16:30

I should think Ann could have the job of her choice, between Nikon, National Geographic (or something similar), or even Adobe. She would be an asset to any one of these companies.

#10 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 14 January 2011 - 21:46

It's a very good thing that I am hidden behind the computer so that you can't see my blushes!

But thank you both for your extremely kind remarks!!

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

#11 joemcbroom.com

joemcbroom.com

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 00:03

Very nice Ann.... great shots..... and fantastic use of a great camera.... The camera is only good if the photographer knows how to push it.

Cheers, joe
My worst fear is that I die and my wife sells my camera gear for the dollar amount that I told her I paid for it. Joe

http://www.joemcbroom.com

#12 Amberglass

Amberglass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCanton, MA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:22

Always enjoy your work, Ann. Wish I could afford to go on Safari but I have two kids in private school. I just have to stick with conservation work and shooting for zoo brochures (sighs).
I think that emotional content is an image's most important element, regardless of the photographic technique. Much of the work I see these days lacks the emotional impact to draw a reaction from viewers, or remain in their hearts.  Anne Geddes

#13 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 22 March 2011 - 13:43

Joe and Amberglass:

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

I can't really afford to go on Safaris either and should be being "responsible" and saving money. But being "irresponsible" and going on these trips has been so stimulating, so much fun and the photographic opportunities so amazing that I wouldn't have missed them for the world.

Just steaming straight ahead (on Plastic!) … and damn the torpedoes …

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Edited by Ann, 22 March 2011 - 13:44 .

#14 Amberglass

Amberglass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCanton, MA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:35

Joe and Amberglass:

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

I can't really afford to go on Safaris either and should be being "responsible" and saving money. But being "irresponsible" and going on these trips has been so stimulating, so much fun and the photographic opportunities so amazing that I wouldn't have missed them for the world.

Just steaming straight ahead (on Plastic!) … and damn the torpedoes …

:devil: :devil: :devil:

You Go Girl! Whoo Hoo!!! :thumbup:
I think that emotional content is an image's most important element, regardless of the photographic technique. Much of the work I see these days lacks the emotional impact to draw a reaction from viewers, or remain in their hearts.  Anne Geddes

#15 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,833 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 22 March 2011 - 15:23

Perhaps you can find some Plastic and come and chase Lions and Elephants one day soon too?!

:innocent:

#16 Amberglass

Amberglass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCanton, MA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 19:10

Perhaps you can find some Plastic and come and chase Lions and Elephants one day soon too?!

:innocent:

Actually not in Africa or that exotic just yet, but perhaps in CA. There's a place called Safari West: http://www.safariwest.com/whois/ that my family and I will try to go to this summer. Hubby attends a few medical conferences in other countries that do host safaris, but he's paranoid about me being eaten. I told him being Asian, the poor beast would only get hungry like half and hour later, so not worth it. :no LOL. I love shooting wildlife, but I do it mostly for local New England Conversation and Coastal groups as a volunteer. Personally I am a big cats lover but also into whales and marine mammals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users