Photo
- - - - -

POTW: Nominations by members (incl. committee members' photos)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,729 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 01 September 2010 - 15:14

Any member of Nikongear.com may nominate a photo that they have seen posted to the site for Pic Of The Week selection, including images posted by members of the committee (as they are not permitted to nominate one another's pics).

This is the procedure and the guidelines for doing so:

- If you are nominating the image of a committee member you should send the nomination by PM to one other member of the committee for inclusion in the nominations for that week.

- If you are nominating any other members' images you can send the nomination to any of the committee members.

- The nominations need to be made from photos posted in the week preceding the one in which the POTW is chosen. In other words, images posted during week 15 of the year could become POTW for week 16 of the year. Photos posted in weeks preceding week 15 cannot be POTW for week 16.

- Our deadlines for nominations are the Monday following the week under consideration. The POTW is usually chosen on the Tuesday and posted that same day.

- challenge entries cannot be considered for POTW.

#2 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationRijswijk, Netherlands.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 17:37

ok good to know Dallas!

Cheers, Marco.

#3 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,819 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 01 September 2010 - 18:23

That all seems to very clear and easy.

Let's hope that we will now see much greater participation in recommending  images for nomination for POTW from many more members of NG.

#4 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 18:39

I forgot to mention that obviously the committee member who is choosing that week can't have his/her own images chosen for POTW.

How will you know who's turn it is to choose? Just take a look at the list of names in the sidebar - they run sequentially, so check who chose last to see who's next. :)

#5 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 September 2010 - 18:40

I did nominate a shot, but accidentally missed the deadline.

I will do better next time. Some of the shots I see here knock me off my chair, as well as making me feel very humble.

#6 ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 19:01

I also made a nomination, but I did not see it appear as well Vivonm. It would be nice to submit them via post as opposed to sending them in an email/PM. I get messages in my inbox I forgot to follow up on often, I know how easy it is to forget :P

I am not sure what is going on with all the exclusions of images (POTW Members and Challenge Entries). It is somewhat disheartening in my opinion, especially when attempting to raise participation in events. :-\

#7 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,819 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 01 September 2010 - 19:48

I know that a couple of the Nominations made last week had to be disqualified because they were not originally posted for the first time on NG during the current (Monday to Sunday) week.

One shot was particularly fine but it couldn't be included because it was originally posted back in June!

Regarding the Challenges:
Paid subscribers, or those with more than 100 Posts, can embed files directly from their own computer; the others can upload images to their personal NG Gallery and enter them in the Challenges from there. There shouldn't be any need to hot-link images from Flickr etc..

#8 ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:41

Thanks Ann,

That could explain why some images submitted were not used. It would be nice to know that instead of just not seeing the image nominated in the post (the one that is moved to public). That is not encouraging to participation, and can lead to people thinking negatively about the process. In regard to the challenges, that is not what I was referring to (but is also another issue), it was more in the lines of eliminating them from contention for POTW, based on their being submitted for a challenge.

I prefer hot linking over the entire SMF/Gallery2/attachment for multiple reasons, having to maintain multiple online galleries, the image quality, not submitting to imposed limitations, adding comments and images in a specific order, etc. Saying that there is not a need, could have been used to state the opposite, as it appears that NG is the only site I venture on to that seems to have made it an issue. Most sites prefer that you hotlink as they do not allow attachments. I will not belabor the point though as it is easy enough to not enter into the challenges. ;) However, if the entire NG site goes that route, I will most surely leave NG. >:(

In any case, the main point of my initial post was my concern of limiting images for potw nominations. Getting people motivated and keeping their interest in participating will benefit NG. Rules and limitations will have the opposite effect, of course some are required to maintain some sort of order.

Best regards,
Tom

#9 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,034 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 01 September 2010 - 21:05

Tom, did you see that other post Dallas made about the hot-links that contained malware ?
Dallas wants to supress non-NG hot-links in the challenges or POTW for that reason.
I'm pretty sure it will be OK to hot-link from our own Nikongear galleries.

Two days ago I had to spend an entire afternoon trying to clean up my PC
which had a pesky Redirect virus that I couldn't track down.
Neither my SpySweeper or my TrendMicro of my TheftFire found that darned virus.
Finally an app called Hitman 3.5 found it and repaired things.
Of course, I don't know where I picked up that Redirect malware,
but I sure hope it wasn't from clicking a pic on NG to see a larger version or something like that.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#10 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:23

There is no restriction on an image being chosen as a POTW if it is posted as a hot linked image that is hosted on another site. It is the CHALLENGES only where you may not hot-link an image.

If we open up a thread where there is one or two images from a poster, but we get the malware warning we can deal with it easily by moving the thread to a safe zone, contact the original poster and letting them know what is going on. We can't do that to the challenge thread, which sometimes can have over 50 entries hot-linked to from all over the web (including NG's own gallery).

Why can't a challenge entry be nominated for POTW? Exposure. It isn't fair for one image to get more exposure than the other entries in the challenge, is it?

#11 ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 13:26

...sometimes can have over 50 entries hot-linked to from all over the web (including NG's own gallery).

Why can't a challenge entry be nominated for POTW? Exposure. It isn't fair for one image to get more exposure than the other entries in the challenge, is it?

Please elaborate on "exposure".

#12 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 14:10

Here's the elaboration: I made the ruling.

#13 ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 17:30

Here's the elaboration: I made the ruling.

Dallas, you asked a question, and I asked that you define what you meant, you can be an ass about it if that makes you feel better.

#14 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 17:40

Thomas, it's very simple: photos entered into the challenges cannot be considered for POTW. It's a ruling I made and I made it for a good reason, a long time ago. I'm sorry if you don't agree with the reason or like my response to your cocky request.

#15 ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 17:42

Exposure... You can post anything on the site anywhere you want. Exposure is determined by whether someone chooses to click on the link to view your image.

So one image gets voted to be the Challenge Winner, and (from your scenario above) the other 49 peoples images are excluded from POTW... That does not seem fair.

Speaking of exposure, does this mean that images posted on other forums are out... That images that have been published are out... Images entered into a contest are out... Of course those are not the case here, but it could be using the above logic. My concern is encouraging participation, not discouraging it.

Best regards,
Tom

#16 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

Getting younger every year

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia suburb of Washington DC
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:46

My concern is encouraging participation, not discouraging it.

As a relative newcomer to NG, the terms of the challenges and POTWs (including the recently revised terms) are very clear and encourage participation rather than discourage it.
Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"
http://howtocatalog.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users